Moving to the other side

So I am considering moving from PC to Mac.

What things should I look for in buying a desktop from Apple?

I still need to use the Microsoft Office Applications though. Does Excel for Mac support Visual Basic again?

Should I consider a dual boot machine?

Will my copy of Vector Works work on a Mac?

I am a preferred Subscriber. Granted I will have to download the new software, but will my license allow me to do that?

TIA

Jeff Miller

Jeff,

I use VW on a 27" iMac 2.66 4/ 1TB and a 24" iMac 3/320 GB. The 27" is three years old and the 24" six years old. Both run 2012/2013 very comfortably. I don't do 3D but I do use lots of hatches and symbols.

I don't think VW supports multi core machines, so there is likely little benefit in getting a new Mac Pro (though they look very cool).

Any mac can have a separate partition and run windows natively in boot camp, though I don't see the logic unless there is some excel thing that office on the mac won't do; I rarely use office.

If you're buying an iMac, I'd definitely go for the 27" as VW palettes take up a lot of space IMHO. Or a 21.5" and get a second monitor and do screen spanning.

Visual basic seems to work on Mac Excel 2011.

I run Parallels for the times I absolutely need windows, which is pretty rare. It allows you to run windows software and mac software at the same time.

I don't know if it matters, but I always buy the machine with the most vram.

"Visual basic seems to work on Mac Excel 2011.

I run Parallels for the times I absolutely need windows, which is pretty rare. It allows you to run windows software and mac software at the same time"

So is this a Mac machine you are starting with or a PC? Kind of a newbie to the other side. What machine are you using? I am using a handful of excel VBA files for business use. If its a Mac what are the base parameters I should look for for a new purchase?

Jeff

2011 17" MacBook Pro, Microsoft Office for Mac and Windows 7 on Parallels Desktop.....works like a charm.......

Will be putting Parallels and my graphics card/CPU to the test for real with Revit within the next few weeks (if I get the license to work, which is no simple feat with AutoDesk!)

Edited by Vincent C