urgent -- i have lost controls

I have vw 2010. Suddenly I have loss all of my controls! All of the drop down controls have gone grey and do not work. I have tried everything. None of the short cuts are working. I can't open another file. And worse of all I can not close or save or save as. What can I do?

I have not tried shutting down vw as i don't want to lose the file. Besides it may not shut down.

Any help appreciated.

Michael,

I've had this issue before also. I did find that it was a dialog in the background such as the auto save reminder that somehow it had occurred either whilst or just before drawing a polyline or other multistep tool. In very unlucky and rare timing the dialog can go to the rear of your window set and cause VW to appear in an unresponsive lockout state.

The only way I've been able to bring it to front is to open task manager and for the process to come to front, whether you force it to minimise and maximise again or do it from the process tree.

Hope you can return to work tomorrow, make sure you post if you can't and we'll have to brainstorm more.

J