Alpha Channel Backgrounds

Hi Folks, any chance that renderworks backgrounds can render out an alpha channel with the render ? i.e. instead of choosing a typical background option, I choose the entire background to be a black alpha.

I asked about this years ago, and it would be extremely useful.

Edited by andrewbirch

Interesting. I had no idea you could do that. I'll have to give it a try. Do you have to copy/paste or can you export as png or tiff?

Although technically it's a transparent background, not an alpha channel. But if it works it's just as good (I actually prefer transparent backgrounds over true alpha channels).

Edited by Monadnoc
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

When using this method, I suggest turing off anti-aliasing in the render options. Giving a viewport no fill via the Attribute palette simply makes any pure white areas transparent. This means aniti-aliasing (that blends the edges of the model with the white background) will cause a halo effect around the model. Also, keep in mind that ALL pure white areas become transparent. This means any parts of the model that render white will turn transparent.