Cut - Split - Modify - Add - Subtract etc

I have two sets of several pieces of over lapping 3D angle iron and I want to bring the ends together. There are 4 pieces per set. Each set becomes the frame for sheet metal which is then welded onto the frame.

The first set is square and I need to bring the over laps together at 45 degrees

The second set has only one corner square and the others are at odd angles

These two sets are drawn at the correct level and are ready to have their angles created that will bring the four pieces together

What is the best way to bring these edges together for a 3D object? Cut - Split - Subtract etc?

I have tried the ones I listed and have not been able to cut - join etc correctly

Thanks

Carl

You will need an additional object to define the cut planes as VW can't determine whether you want a 45?, 90?, staggered joint etc.

So - I would either go with

Split:

Shift 1 to set the working plane

Look to Plane

Select the objects to split

Draw a split line (holding Alt) to restrict splitting to these objects only.

(It can be helpful to draw a guide line for the Split operation first)

An alternative is to draw the edge of your frame using a 2d or 3d polygon and

run Extrude Along Path.

You can then Edit the EAP Profile to the correct its position & orientation with respect to the Path (the Origin in the EAP>Edit Profile space).

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your suggestions. I used the Split function to complete this work. For me it was a matter of doing the right key strokes and 'bcd' clued me into this

The drawing had 4 pieces of angle iron whose ends overlapped and all were at the same elevation.

To place the 45 degree angle cut it was the 'alt' key that made the difference. I did not draw an object only used the Split function

Steps to Split

1. Select Object

2. Hold down 'alt' key and hold it down until all SPLIT operations are completed

3. Select SPLIT

4. Choose your first SPLIT point

5. Choose your second SPLIT point

6. Choose the side to keep

The SPLIT command is completed. To continue to SPLIT objects I needed to select 'SELECTION' command and then start the process over again