wall types

Working on a residence and was wondering if most drafters use the various wall types with gyp bd, sht'g and siding or just simple unstyled walls.

One thing that bothers me with the styled walls is the control seems to be the face of finish. Normally I draw and dimension to face of stud. it makes offsetting and placing walls very tedious.

Still a newbie,

Thanks,

John

I used stylized walls. Demo, existing, new as I do mainly remodeling.

Most remodeling is based from the GWB unless it is an addition.

You can use custom control line mode or core component control mode which would suit you.

You can also set what component is the core.

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi John,

Check out the attached file and run through the Saved Views to see how you can turn components OFF giving you the ability to dimension to face of stud or sheathing or whatever...

Also note that the Fat Line/Thin Line class only works in PLAN view as it will mask the outer and inner component when rendered

In your Viewports, you'll be able to turn off the exterior cladding and sheathing and then dimension to face of stud using Class Over Rides

Wes

Edited by Wes Gardner
Guest Wes Gardner

As a general rule, dimension in Annotation space of the viewport

Note that the Fat Line/Thin Line Wall Style has been modified to 'Use Class Attributes" in the set-up of the Wall Style. This is NOT the case for the out-of-the-box wall styles

Edited by Wes Gardner

Thanks all. I need to master the custom control line mode so that my framed wall lines are the controlling dimension (unless doing a remodel like taoist mentioned).

Also for duplicating walls with offset i learned that I have to keep in mind the thickness of finishes!

Is there an advantage later in the process of having used wall styles with the finishes verses unstyled wall (just simple 2-lines)?

Will it make rendering the elevation simpler or does it matter?

jmartinarch,

It depends on the level of detail you want to show.

I use stylized walls for framed walls.

When drawing walls say a wood framed on top of a foundation,

use the core offset mode if using stylized walls. You could create a 1 component wall say 2x4 or 2x6, set this as the core, use the core offset mode and it will place the exterior face of the stud (core) where it should be.

I use the core all the time for auto placing of the stud (core) on top of sill plates or slabs.

Now we need to be able to dimension to the wall components using exterior dimension tool.

Framers typically want from the face of the stud, but I realize everyone has their convention. We should have the flexibility.

As a general rule, dimension in Annotation space of the viewport

I would disagree with this statement. When composing a construction document floor plan and the many revisions that take place throughout the process you would not be able to see your dimensions as you are editing your walls in plan. Along with editing things like center lines, section lines, door tags, notations, etc. to avoid overlapping data. You would have to make the plan revisions and then jump over to the viewport for continued editing....remembering all the areas that require your attention. Dimensions often inform the design decisions being made on the fly in design layers.

I use a PLAN layer paired with a NOTES layer. All REAL objects go on PLAN while all SHEET objects associated with that plan goes on NOTES. In this way the plan can be referenced as background elsewhere in the set without bringing the notes and dimensions with it. (electrical, structural, renderings, etc)

Just like there is some benefit to overlaying one plan over another there can be benefit to doing this with notes and dimensions as well. This is possible in design layers but not easily done in sheet layers.

Yes, there is the pitfall of drafting beyond your sheet layer titleblock but I see that as easily corrected and minor compared to the benefits of notes and dimensions on design layers.

Often times when issuing preliminary plans or small scale vignettes of a plan we will use annotations for various notes, dimensions, room names, etc. In this way the larger and evolving construction document plan is not effected by these intermediate drawings. They stand on their own. In the end, however, only the drawing title with its auto-numbering typically ends up in the final floor plan viewport.

my 2 cents

Joe