terrain modeling help?

gundam

Can anyone help me with a step by step tutorial on how to create a mesh terrain?

I have drawn all the contours in ascending order and have manually picked them in the order and converted to 3D. I run the new DTM and i get a highlighted contour plan that doesn't translate in 3D. I am also unsure at which time to discern the boundry for the terrain? I have read the manual works by janice kent, I do what is refered to in the manual as what I think is step by step, but I get no satisfying results. If anyone has had any success with terrain modeling, I would appreciate any form of assistance.

Thank you

--Nghia Ngo

hi gundam

you should run the '2D contours to 3D polys'... from the DTM menu as soon as you have drawn the 2D contours (don't manually make them 3D)and just follow the dialogue boxes ... the routine will automatically choose each contour in turn for you to assign a height... then goto 'New DTM' in the DTM menu ... fill in the dialogue boxes then after the DTM is created go to the new automaticaly created 3D polys layer and there is your 3D mesh

If you then want to alter some of the contours ... go back to the layer with the 3D polys on and use the 2D reshape polygon tool to move the handles .... or you can put in some 3D loci and give them a 'z' value in the object information window or draw some new 2d polygons and then use the convert to '3D polys' in the Model menu and give them a 'z' value in the object information window .... then select 'Recalculate' in the DTM menu and it will automaticaly update the 3D mesh on the 3D polys layer

cheers

Klaus