Symbol Classes

I have a number of plumbing fittings I've created as symbols. The default Class is NONE as this Class is often turned in a Viewport. Each time one of these Symbol is added to a drawing it is then assigned a Class in the OIP.

The issue is sometimes these Symbols disappear unless ALL CLASSES are made Visible. The work-a-round I have is to convert each of these Symbols to a Group and reassign these groups to the correct Class. (Due to the original Symbol being drawn in None Class.)

I could also make copies of the Symbol in each Class but that's about the same as what I'm doing now, & defeats the idea of a Symbol. Is there a different technique out there that will allow me to assign Class info to each instance of a Symbol?

In theory, I guess it depends.

Here is an example.

I have created a simple 4 wall house with hip roof.

I have inserted a Velux Skylight which is a 3D symbol with a predefined class of Skylight-Fixed.

When inserted into the roof, it becomes part of the roof class.

Making the skylight class setting to invisible makes no difference.

I do not know if this a roof issue that is, any 3D symbol inserted becomes part of the roof or if it is a 3D symbol issue.

Perhaps I should also note that in a Viewport, the symbol is, as far as I can tell, always visible. I should have been more clear, the issue I have identified is in the Design Layer as I would like to turn off many classes so I'm able to select just one set of fittings & Replace Symbol say if I'm changing the size of my fittings...

Hi taoist,

In regards to a skylight inserted into a roof. If you don't want to see the skylight, you need to open up the skylight symbol itself, and take note of what class the objects within the symbol are on. Whatever that class is will ultimately control the visibility. (At least that's how a symbol inserted into a wall behaves. The class that the symbol is on doesn't affect anything anymore, but the class of the objects within the symbol still does.)

Jim,

Again, keep in mind that whatever class the objects are on within the symbol will ultimately control it's visibility. When it comes to what you are trying to accomplish in the design layer, I have found great success using the "Select Similar" tool. This thing is perfect for what you are trying to do. You can have your symbols reside on whatever classes you want, and simply create custom settings with the "select similar" tool, having the tool select objects with the same symbol name but only on a specific class. Once selected, make your symbol change.

No other classes need be turned off!

(To me, this tool has sped up much of my work, because I can select objects so quickly with it. Just create your own presets.)