Viewports Update + Print Problems

It takes a long time (10-15 min) to print sheets (pdf) w/ elevation/section and the models disappear when I open the file.

Every time i reopen a working file, the sheet layer viewports show the red/white border around all viewports and I only see the annotations (no model info). [see atch image] I can update the viewports, but it takes a long time. I encounter the same problem when printing. How can I expedite these commands?

This occurs with elevation and section viewports. Plan viewports print instantly.

print resolution = 300. I tried 150 with similar results.

I checked "Display Objects Beyond View Plane" and "Display Planar Objects" for each elevation/section viewport.

I tried the "Save As pdf" and "Open PDF in Preview" options with similar results. VW quits unexpectedly 9/10 times.

All viewports link to the 3D model.

Is this normal behavior? What settings must I revise to see viewport content and print to pdf in a reasonable time?

Eric, It looks like you have quite a few VP's there. If they are Section VP's (which I suspect they are) then the time to regen/update is probably pretty normal. Sometimes there are particular Layers, Classes or Objects which slow things down, although tracking them down can be tedious. My best advice is to create a little script via the Custom Selection command: "Select VP's". Then you can update all the VP's at a more convenient time (during a break, or lunch), then print to PDF.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a similar experience -

after sequentially hiding classes and objects (took me a few hours) i eventually found one hybrid symbol that was causing the problem.

A toilet from the kohler library was too 'heavy' to update all the VP's. This symbol appeared in several bathrooms, and I was using Section VPs for interior elevations.

(your issue may be unrelated.... )

best of luck