Revision Data

• 2 weeks later...

Here are two scripts that have been posted, one by me and one by Pat Stanford, that overcome some of the inherent problems with the Issue Manager. I think the script I wrote is what you are looking for.

See these two links.

Pat's script blanks out all previously input data. Best if run as a vectorscript from a script palette. Very useful when starting a new project from an old project.

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=126725#Post126725

My script allows you to input the letter or number assigned to a given sheet set and revise the date and title to something different on all title blocks at the same time. Otherwise you need to edit them one sheet at a time. Good to correct typos and change an issue date at the last minute. I run the script from a menu command but it can be run from a palette as well.

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=33110&Number=163089#Post163089

Joe

I don't think I know enough to answer this question.

The Issue Manager creates the Issue Data record format and sends dates and description out to many sheets. My script merely edits the content of that record format that is attached to each title block.

I'm not seeing an equivalent method to send revision data to multiple title blocks at the same time. Revision data appears to only be sheet by sheet. I don't know where this information is stored because no record format is created when you input the data through a titleblock.

Oddly, the Issue Data record format is also not created when you simply add the issue date by accessing through the title block instead of through the Issue Manager. However, my script still works to change the information.

Find out where the Revision Data is stored and a similar script can likely be written. I attempted to re-write my script to change info in a record format called 'Revision Data' instead of 'Issue Data' hoping it might exist but just be hiddne...but that didn't work. I didn't take the time to flush out bugs in the script, however, so it might still be possible with a couple of additional edits.

Joe

I guess it also depends on how you manage Issues and Revisions.

If you manage changes on a sheet by sheet basis then the way the Issue and Revision Data in VW may be sufficient.

But I prefer to keep all sheets in a set with the same revision number i.e. if I have 10 sheets (Revision A) and I change 2 of them then all 10 sheets will be revision B.

You obviously do the same Joe, as you've seen the need for your script?

We use the Issue Manager and my script extensively for dates and descriptions but we do not currently use the built-in Revision Data. Being nearly 100% residential we rarely see the need to track revision across a number of different sets sent out to the contractor. When we do we simply place a revision tag next to a new issue date that corresponds to our revision bubbles. We list a number if issue dates on each title block.

Joe

• 6 months later...