Sending DWGs to Microstation V8 user

We're trying to send plans, elevations and sections to a Microstation V8 user.

His initial response was "Thank you for these drawings which I can open with some loss of detail. However I cannot use them as they are in 3D. I can export them into 2D but then all sort of strange things occur and any font turns into symbols. Is it possible to send me the drawings in 2D format?"

I then made sure my colleague exported the elevations and sections with the

"Export Viewports as 2D Graphics in Model Space" option checked and sent them again. And this time received the following response:

"The drawings you sent last were fine except that they were in 3D and converting them caused problems. If you cannot send them in 2D perhaps you could send them in dfx format and maybe this will work. I have no trouble with AutoCAD drawings so there should be a way of doing this."

What's the problem here do you think?

More info:

"Thank you for your help. When I open the file in MicroStation (V8i) it can be read as a dwg file and it is in 2D but when I ?save as? a MicroStation V8 dgn file it turns into 3D. This does not normally happen but I am no MicroStation expert. I have no time today but will experiment with it later. As it is now in 3D I have to ?export? it as a 2D file and that is when I get problems."

What is it with Microstation?

I have had help with the drawings from an expert in MicroStation and although the elevation drawings are still very difficult to convert, I think that I can salvage most of the drawings.

However PL007* is proving very difficult even for my expert. He asked if you would send me a new drawing of P007 but with all the x refs merged (I expect that you understand this). He will then be able to make it usable for me to work on in MicroStation V8.

I understand that should this situation occur again on another project, I should ask for the drawings to be in version V14 with the x refs merged into a master file and all blocks (cells in MicroStation) ungrouped.

I hope that you can help me please?

PL007 is a simple 2D drawing, but it includes a site plan viewport at a different scale.