Texture Beds

Is it possible to use a texture bed to, um, apply a texture to a site model?

Okay, I'm being facetious, 'cause I know it is, or at least, that it's supposed to be. But it seems to ALWAYS take an exorbitant amount of time, messing around with all kinds of settings (apply to existing DTM? Proposed DTM? Texture by class? Directly applied texture? Texture by site modifier's class? Texture by specified class? Remember to put the texture bed in the correct class. Remember to update the model).

A while ago I successfully created a texture bed, but evidently I can't recreate the exact combination of settings that worked. Or maybe tonight the moon and stars just aren't properly aligned. I don't know, but I'm sure it shouldn't be so difficult.

In the meantime, any suggestions for getting texture beds to just simply work would be greatly appreciated!!

1) Create a Class. Give this class a Texture in the "Other" texture pane in the Class Setup Dialog. Make sure that Use at Creation is ON (checked).

2) Select (or Create and Select) the Texture Bed.

3) In the OIP, in the "Texture From Class" pulldown (NOT the class assignment near the top of the OIP, but the one farther down) select the Class (from #1, above).

4) Select the Site Model and Update.

Another couple notes: Texture Beds can be applied to Existing or Proposed Site Model, however you do need to be sure which is being shown. So make sure to set the 3d Options for the Site Model appropriately (e.g.: if Show Proposed is chosen, then you would apply the Texture bed to the Proposed, etc).

Sometimes I find it useful to set the Texture Bed's elevation (or Z) just slightly above zero.

And yes, this is way too complicated and ought to be much much easier. It took me literally years to get comfortable with it. I can't imagine how a new or less experienced user could possibly figure it out...

Hi Peter

Thanks for the excellent guide. DTM are tricky and adding pads, buildings, retaining walls make it even harder. Thank you for your help in past Peter. Good luck 'will of maine'...this forum is a great resource for those trying things out for the first, second or third time.

Thanks Peter! So, I think two primary things were doing me in...

First, I now understand that there's just one way to assign the texture for a texture bed, using the "Texture from Class" pull-down. The Render tab of the OIP and/or the class to which the texture bed itself is assigned have no effect. (Similar to the way textures for the components of doors and windows have to be assigned via a specified class).

Second... well... the class with the texture needs a solid fill... (I was so preoccupied with the DTM and texture bed settings that this 'obvious' one escaped me...).

Assigning texture beds to Existing vs Proposed is pretty straight forward... once you know you need to do it... and if you remember you need to do it (tricky when you don't do a particular thing, such as DTMs, all the time...).

Changing the Z value seemed to have no effect, though changing the Elevation did. In any case, it wasn't necessary to adjust it vertically.

Thanks again! Will

• 2 weeks later...

I have just discovered that if you use renderworks you have to use textures, but if you do not use renderworks then texture beds allow you to use fills in the normal way.

This makes me want to be able to turn renderworks off for sone situations. Does anyone know if it is possible to turn renderworks off for a particular viewport, so that I can use simple fills on a texture bed?

I have found a way of using fills to give your texture bed a simple solid colour.

Create a new texture. Make the texture as object class.

Grice the texture bed a class. Give the class a colour.

Hey presto!

This texture can then be used for all your texture beds, and he colour adjusted according to class in the usual way.