Does anyone from Nemetschek Read These Forums?

NorCalLights

Question

I'm honestly curious... I don't think I've ever seen a single response to one of our Wish List posts from someone at Nemetschek. A simple "We agree that would be a great feature to add in the future" or "We understand your frustration and are working on a solution" would really go a long way here.

I rely on Vectorworks for my entire livelihood, and the silence on these forums makes me feel like we users need NA a whole lot more than they need us. It's a scary, lonely feeling.

15 answers to this question

There used to be a representative from VW who answered any and every question users had on this board. Her name was Katie. She, and she alone, made putting up with VW's bugs and quirks possible. She was a font of knowledge and information. And she seemed to read this board night and day seven days a week. I would ask a question on a Saturday and that night at midnight she would respond. Boy, do I miss her. Unfortunately, VW let her go years ago. Big mistake.

Can we start a petition to bring Katie back? Offer her triple whatever you used to pay her.

I just find it sad that the two "sticky" posts at the top of every forum announce the availability of 2012 SP1 and (even more pathetically) the 2011 Viewer. How does that slip through the cracks?

I posted on the Vectorworks mailing list about a feature request, and I was told to come here to add it to the list. Now I feel like I'm talking into a vacuum.

I'm checking on the sticky posts. You're right, they've been overlooked too long. (I visit the forum every day and I've stopped seeing them.)

Putting on my moderator hat...

While the engineers at NV do sometimes haunt the forum and occasionally post, the forum is intended to be a resource for peer to peer support. "There is no formal offer of technical support..." on the forums. (fora?) *(See Vectorworks Community Board Terms of Service and Community Guidelines.)

I agree that posts here in the Wish List Forum feel different from posts in other forums in that NV is the "audience" for the Wish List posts. No peer-to-peer help is usually being sought.

I'm told that engineers actually do read all the wish list posts. I have seen evidence of this: new features that are remarkably similar to old wish lists posts. But, you're right, NV draws no connections between them.

Points taken.

Moderator hat off...

I'm not sure what a perfect solution would look like. NV rarely announces new features in advance. Perhaps because of the competitive environment.

And, I assume, no single engineer reading a Wish List post has the authority to respond, "That's a great idea, we should do that!". Nor is it wise to respond, "That's a terrible idea for many reasons, we will never do that."

But more feedback is better than less feedback.

I'm not sure what a perfect solution would look like. NV rarely announces new features in advance. Perhaps because of the competitive environment.

Hey Michael,

Always nice to know we "Are" heard. :)

But any form or communication just to hint that the "Info" is getting through . . . . . . .

In the years I have been with VWs and this forum many a wish list item I have posted have actually been introduced (though I don't know if it was because of me or just happened to be on the internal to do list).

Only about 10-25% of wishes make it to the program ie. development is far too slow! (faster development has been on the wish list many times too btw.....)

In short: Yes they do seem to read the wish list.

Tip: When making a wish, make it extremely clear why your wish is important and how it improves your workflow. (They seem to be very accomplished engineers however not so accomplished draftsmen and architects so they don't always see or understand the importance of certain wishes.)

One painful recurring example is this:

http://needleandmortar.com/wiki/main-headline-wishlist-for-v2014/#priority-1

One of the earliest wishes for this (notice the date and still nothing!):

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=61551&Searchpage=49&Main=14266&Words=3d+hatches&Search=true#Post61551

Edited by Vincent C
When making a wish, make it extremely clear why your wish is important and how it improves your workflow. (They seem to be very accomplished engineers however not so accomplished draftsmen and architects so they don't always see or understand the importance of certain wishes.)

Very good tip.

Katie was very good. My guess is NV pulled her out because they wanted to make a clear distinction between user-based support and official support, particularly with VSS now in place.

All the more reason to keep someone that "Speaks the same language" on the team.

Thing is, as i recall, was able to communicate on any drawing level or field . . . . .

Big advantage!

Katie was very good. My guess is NV pulled her out because they wanted to make a clear distinction between user-based support and official support, particularly with VSS now in place.

I may be wrong but my understanding is she had an illness also

She was awesome even though she booted me for a month which was probably Christiaan's fault

Just joking!

Just thought I'd also pop in here.

In the last 3 months I've been contacted by VW solutions staff on two occasions from issues I've posted here, both times with a formal email following up a query and solution/guarantees with both.

This has restored my faith in the developmental side of VW staff and in my mind reinforces why we're all here.

The occasional general 'Hi, that's something we're doing' wouldn't be too bad though! ;)

J