general ifc export troubles

hi,

i've just encountered massive ifc export troubles, even with items that should cause none.

the main issue are the ground story walls, the one writes and exports ok from vw, the other one gets strange features, although it seems to display ok in solibri. both walls are the same insertion in vw, and assigned to the same entity (ifcwallstandardcase).

the false wall doesn't get recognized as a wall neither in archicad 16 nor in revit 2009 (archicad screenshots - the wall turns to library object).

i would generally want to know how can i manage the ifc file generation from vw. from this one small project, where i was forced to do an architecture type i can't really be proud of, i'm additionally stuck in a mess of chaotic ifc appearances without any clue of what's going on.

further issues: the chimneys don't export to ifc at all (although assigned to an ifc-entity), the top-plates and accessories as well, the rafters cause import errors in archicad, either as ifcroof or ifcmember (framing member) instances, the vertical balustrade elements export as unknown entities in ifc and many more.

what are the rules, maybe i'm missing something significant? can anybody help?

thx in advance,

rob

Edited by gester

Is the chimney an object? I'd so, have you tried exporting the object on it's own?

Or tried the base object without your settings.

I suspect there may be corruption in the file. Was the information cut and pasted in from an old file?

I don't know I'd it is related, but I have found issues preventing export to DWG. Deleting AutoCAD line types can help.

Hope that helps.

troy,

Is the chimney an object? I'd so, have you tried exporting the object on it's own?

Or tried the base object without your settings.

that's interesting. i've read about exporting particular objects to ifc, but i haven't found this functionality in the v2012. where's that exactly? if you mean assigning the ifc entities: yes, it has been done.

I suspect there may be corruption in the file. Was the information cut and pasted in from an old file?

no, it was a file from scratch. i'm just examining the items one by one. i suspect that the elements overlapping stories or layers may be the reason, but i must be sure of this.

I don't know I'd it is related, but I have found issues preventing export to DWG. Deleting AutoCAD line types can help.

Hope that helps.

i must check this one. how can i recognize the autocad line type?

thanks for your time.

rob

Edited by gester

As you have started the file from scratch, my guess is that line styles will not be an issue. ACAD line types are easy to see as they are normally have names in UPPERCASE.

I am looking into this as I have had a couple of similar issues with IFC coming from our steel fabricators using Tekla Structures; although not nearly as drastic as yours. There doesn't seem to be much information on this, although I have been looking in VSS (VW Service Select) Webinars > Tips by Guest Presenters and Vectorworks Power Users. There may be some stuff there, but I haven't gone through the BIM based ones as yet.

I'm not much help I'm afraid. Back to my previous post, I would try exporting individual objects to see if they work on their own. Also you could try attaching IFC classes to the objects, but now I am really just guessing!

Here is a quote from page 817 (titled IFC Workflows) of the VW Design Series User Guide. Not sure precisely what it means, but assigning objects to IFC classes might have been a guess closer to the mark than I expected.

Test the quality of the IFC export file by verifying it in an IFC model browsing utility. Almost all IFC browsers can traverse the IFC ?tree? structure to view and validate the model.

Also take a read of the previous point to this one;

Select the IFC Data command to attach IFC data to custom user defined symbols or custom 3D elements, so that they will be recognized at IFC export.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Diamond