64 bit and Mac OS

JRQ

Question

Does anyone know, can anyone please tell me, when Vectorworks will finally run in 64 bit in Mac OS?

With each annual update these past years, increasing is my disappointment, and frustration, that Nemetschek hasn't deemed this a worthy upgrade for it's many, many Mac using Vectorworks users.

With so available a speed improvement for Vectorworks, I just can't understand why it's not been done. I really will be reticent to pay my annual fee next year if the Mac OS X version of VW2014 doesn't, finally, run in 64 bit (like all of my other major, and most minor, software does).

I'd be interested to hear from other Mac based Vectorworks users on this. And I'd be especially interested to hear from our VW 2014 developers. Am I expecting more of this change than I should? Somehow, to me, 32 bit streaming and 64 bit streaming sounds like, looks like, and as I understand it, twice as many lanes. Twice as many lanes/ double the bits and bytes per second, per hour, per day, has to be a good thing... yes?

I, for one, am paining, among other things, to have dashed hidden line rendering to speed up!

14 answers to this question

And Multitasking And Multi Processor Awareness And 3D Modelling Tools that actually work.

Nemetzchek have been much too busy competing with Lego "Ready Meals" instead of "Building a Fully Competitive CAD Tool!"

:(

i would like to upgrade, but since v2009 very little has been updated . . . .

Unlikely you'll get anything from developers until after the release of v2014 and definitely not on any subject they are not getting involved in.

They will however tell you how good they've been catering for our needs once they've done something, but otherwise . . . . .

"Don't hold you're breath!"

In the meantime, just keep complaining about anything you are not happy with . . . .

Then complain again . . . .

And Again . . . . .

And don't forget to let them know, when they haven't done what you asked for . . . . .

. . . . . By telling them again!

:)

Edited by AndiACD

Well, this is as I expected. Unfortunately.

But how can Nemets drag their heals on this one? Feeling 'please and thank you with all the cherries on top I can muster' going from a request to a complaint is something I never wanted to see happen but, in this case, it is.

The past few years have seen some shifts for us that have left me far from comfortable. Going from numbered version updates that came out every eighteen months or so to each update being labelled by its release year was a big warning flag. That, followed in 2012 with the shift to VSS, mostly a fancy name for an annual users' fee, raised another one. One big outcome of all of this is that the term 'software update' has become very hazy. What are we, the loyal Vectorworks users, really to expect now of these annual infusions from our dear Nemetschek developers' past year's hard work?

When I consider all of the massive improvements made to our programme over the past fifteen years plus, I know there simply aren't the size of improvement leaps that we used to get in one update to be made anymore, but, given this, is it not all the more reason why we should expect a 64 bit Mac OS version with Vectorworks 2014?

That is not an unreasonable expectation and I, for one, will really have to bite down hard when it comes time to agree to pay my next annual license fee if this is not part of the update.

Please, Nemetschek, make me a happy user! Say it loud and say it proud: We, the Nemetschek Vectorworks Mac OS version developers commit to making VW 2014 64 bit Mac OS capable!

Problem is-my VSS comes due prior to release so I'll never know what's in store. I probably won't be renewing my merry-go-round fees and just wait and suffer their penalties in 2 or 3 years when it may be worth it. Just don't have time wade through all the new features and their attendant bugs. I get especially of an aggravating lack of functionality or NNA not seeing a tool through. 32 bit vs 64 bit? I just want it to work.

Edited by bc

Well for those of us that invested in Multitasking, Multi Processor Awareness,64bit & 3D Modelling Tools that actually work, i would like to be able to make use of the Mac i've got to it's full.

Not that i wouldn't also be very happy if it all just worked . . .

Well for those of us that invested in Multitasking, Multi Processor Awareness,64bit & 3D Modelling Tools that actually work, i would like to be able to make use of the Mac i've got to it's full.

Not that i wouldn't also be very happy if it all just worked . . .

Its ironic that I'm considering a PC only software package running in an emulator to take full advantage of the power of my top of the line Macbook Pro......

Seriously?

If its top of the line one would think it would do what you needed it to without resorting to a PC only software package

I spend a lot of time waiting for VW. Watching a poor, lonely single core render complex hidden line viewports while the other 7 cores do nothing.

I never said I was "resorting", I said it was ironic. As a theatre designer I'm looking for software that's specifically suited to a workflow which is a blend of architecture and industrial design. As I consider my options Solidworks seems to fit that bill. VW does what I need but not as efficiently as it used to. The client expectations get higher, the models get more complex, and the workflow gets slower and slower (have you ever used multiple auto-hybrid objects in a file?).

I see that you're a landscape architect so its likely you have a similar challenge. I can't imagine there are many programs that have a customized landscape toolset like VW. I'm guessing that's part of the reason why so many of us are frustrated. VW has a diverse market base, all of which are looking for a customized toolset. Its hard to find a well suited replacement as development stalls on the understructure that holds it all together.

Kevin

Users didn't buy MD because NAG did Sweet Fanny Adams in the way of support. If a package gets updates and improvement people buy.

Like 3D Tools! Are becoming progressively useless.

If you don't put a product on the shelves of a Supermarket, the Customers cannot purchase it.