Add a textured surface to site model

23hour

Question

The site model is a great tool; but once the surface is created it would be nice to be able to use it more flexibly - Say I want to cut a physical model of the site using vertical slices; what can i do?? Or if i want to add a texture to the model like grass - seems all i can do right now is drape it and work off that - not clean or accurate really...

6 answers to this question

You can also use classes to define textures or create a texture bed site modifier to drape a texture over a small portion of the overall model.

However, I'm noticing that once I add a texture bed to a model it doesn't want to delete from the model even after the texture bed modifier has been deleted? Thoughts? I have a textured area I can seem to get rid of.

Right now I'm thinking I might need to regenerate the model from the source data and re-apply my pad modifiers.

Joe

Q2 I feel sooo foolish for not thinking of this myself. Blindingly obvious -thanks Peter

Q1 is a little bit harder. Viewport creates a virtual slice. I want a series of physical (vertical) slices I can then take to the laser-cutter. . .So I've ungrouped my sitemodel and extracted the nice triangulated mesh, and I've invoked "create contour" over it in plan view; which has given me a great series of single nurbs curves. Now I have to create individual polygons (x200!) each with a curved top.

Is there a simpler way? i cant seem to use the mesh as a sectioning tool on another solid before creating contours.

Yes, I think there's an easier way. Use Create Section Viewport, uncheck the box that says "Display Objects Beyond Section Plane". Take the resulting 'flat' section and Convert to Lines. Remove the lines on the sides and bottom; Select the remaining lines and Compose. Now you have one Polyline...Of course you'll need to do this a number of times...

Nice - I didnt realise you could "convert" the output of a viewport. Flexible!

For anyone interested: unchecking "Display objects beyond section plane" is the trick - leaving me straightaway with a Polygon whose base (and sides, if my sitemodel is rectangular) will register with all the others in my physical model.

And cutting x200 section viewports is less work than re-building shapes with a nurbs profile on top edge. Select all and "no fill"

Now I can apply this idea to a building facade

In hindsight, perhaps my wishlist request might have been a 3d modelling one "use a mesh to section a solid . . ."

Thanks Peter