Center of Mass Origin

Hi,

I am trying to set the origin in a 3D drawing to a midpoint on the bottom of what basically represents a steel bar which is 1/4" thick x 1.5" long x 3/8" wide. When I get the 3D properties for center of mass Cx, Cy & Cz seem to be wonky numbers.

Center of Mass:

cX: 3.644e-018 in

cY: -0.7500 in

cZ: 0.1250 in

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Edited by CADD_OPS
  • 2 weeks later...

It sounds like you drew the base as an extruded rectangle. If the center of the rectangle was at (0", -0.75"), and it was extruded by 1/4", you would get the Center of Mass that you posted. (cX is effectively zero, 3.644x10^-18" == 0.)

Your bar is already sitting on the ground (bottom Z = 0), as cZ is at 1/2 your thickness (0.25"/2). Extrudes always go up from the 2D object sitting on the ground.

All you need to do is go to Top or Top/Plan view, select all, and move your part (0", 0.75"). It will then be sitting on the origin.

Raymond

• 9 months later...

Thanks Raymond!

Now that I have delved into it a little more, I am having a hard time trying to retrieve the 3D properties for a simple extruded rectangle. In particular, I am trying to find the MMoI (Mass Moments of Inertia) for it. I am using this simple shape as a test to determine if the VW calculations coincide with my calculations before I move on to the actual more complicated parts that we need this information for in order to run our simulation software. At this point the MMoI does not match my calculations. In design layer, I placed the origin at the Center of Mass using "next mouse click is zero (0,0) in the set origin command. Any tips?

-please see attached