Lights, Symbols, and rendering time

I'm not sure if this is a valid subject for discussion or not, but I'll put it out there anyway.

I do not use an external rendering program (C4D, etc.), although I've considered playing around with blender because it's free. Anyway, I do like to watch tutorial videos of C4D, Blender, etc. In at least one video, the tutor mentioned creating an "instance" from light objects, so that the rendering software only has to calculate for the original light object, and does not have to calculate for multiple lights. The "instance" can then be duplicated in the modeled room to create additional light.

This sounds much like symbols in VW. One instance of a symbol rather than multiple complicated items to be calculated.

So my question is this: Can we save a light as a symbol (I'm guessing we can), and if so, will using a light symbol save on rendering time over having multiple light objects in the file?

I've never heard that creating symbols of lighting objects reduces rendering time. It seems very unlikely, since the light source is going to create a point from which rays are shot out at the world...they would always be different.

It would be an easy thing to test though, just recreate a scene using many symbols of lights rather than the lights themselves.

Your question about saving lights as symbols though, yes you can. They will act the same as other symbols: they will update globally with a change of one instance.

I appreciate the input Grant. I haven't been able to justify the cost (of C4D) or the learning curve of external rendering software. Especially once the economy tanked back in '07. Now however, I feel as you do. That the ability to demonstrate the finished "feel" of the project will help solidify the client's confidence in us. Remodeling projects are intangible, so anything I can do to give my client the finished fit and feel PRIOR to the start of the actual project would be an excellent tool.

I'm still concerned with the amount of work necessary to achieve that look however.

BTW, your work looks very nice as well!

I have found that my clients have been able to hone in on the true nitty gritty of their projects with better renders, which may be interpreted as a much more secure "hook" in their mouth as far as the sale goes.

It is true that the initial cost and learning curve of a higher end rendering package can be daunting. Feel free to outsource anytime!

• 1 month later...

I don't know what your RenderWorks renderings are looking like but you can get some pretty darn high end renderings out of RW now-a-days if you know what you are doing. I would max out RW before turning to an external rendering program. I have just returned to using VW after 3 years in a position without using CAD at all. Just my 2 cents.

chaz

Since we do a lot of interior remodeling, I use the VW PIO cabinets for the bulk of my work, modifying as needed, converting to group, etc. when highly specialized units are needed. Unless I'm missing something, VW renderworks does a poor job of applying textures to the cabinet PIO's. Re-mapping textures on those objects is not allowed by the program. Grain direction is pretty much always wrong. Either its all horizontal or all vertical.

The only way I've found to correct it is to convert each cabinet to a group, then drill down to the individual pieces, correcting texture mapping along the way. This is not a productive way IMO. WAY too much time needs to spent on each item.

If there is a better way, or I'm making a fundamental mistake, please, someone, let me know.

Thanks bcd and Gytis. bcd, I was afraid that was the answer, in terms of the correct application of textures, but I was pretty sure it was. I've taken to "white card" modeling our projects mostly. It's not a bad alternative, especially during the design phase. I'm always surprised (though I shouldn't be) when a client is looking at a rendered concept of a major remodel, and they focus on the colors. "I don't like that finish on the cabinets" or "do I have to do the tile pattern like that?". LOL! White card puts those things out of their minds!

Gytis, I have looked at Interiorcad. I have come close to pulling the trigger on a few occasions, but have yet to do so. It looks like it is exactly what we need.