why upgrade from fundamentals?

currently I am using VW fund 2013. all 2d, no bim or 3d. draw directly on a sheet exactly how i want it to layout and done. what you see is what you get.

i am sure it can be streamlined btu everything seems to be working fine. imported symbols and everything organized by simple layer sets. not using classes at all.

i might have 5 layers for say, first floor (1-FP, then like 1-ELE, 1-RCP, 1-notes, etc.) then similar for other floors.

how could viewports really help me?

I am familiar with CAD and how it handles VPs and model/paper space. but since VW does not have model space, and everything is in "paper space", im not quite sure how VPs might work with huge benefits.

can someone enlighten me please?

thanks

Guest Wes Gardner

Your assumption that Vectorworks does not have model space is a little incorrect - our Design Layers function as model space and our Sheet Layers equate to paper space. Viewport technology gets you from one to the other. Viewports can be duplicated, rescaled, have their classes overridden to make the same model appear quite different depending on your class settings.

Are you drawing on VW Design Layers or Sheet Layers?

Basically, in VW draw (almost) everything on Design Layers and lay out the page as printed on Sheet Layers using viewports. Classes and class overrides are not required but make huge sense and are highly recommended.

AutoCAD layers = VW classes. VW layers are an extra capability that is non-existent in AutoCAD, and shouldn't be thought of, or used, like AutoCAD layers.

Using VW without classes is almost like trying to use AutoCAD without layers, although the former can be done (though not recommended) and the latter is impossible. I think. And it sounds like the way you're using VW is either like drawing everything in AutoCAD Model Space or drawing everything in AutoCAD Layout Tabs (Paper Space for the old term). For both AutoCAD and VW the best way is to use both. You would draw in VW Design Layers (i.e. "Model Space") and lay out your final sheets in Sheet Layers (i.e. "Layout Tabs/Paper Space", and use classes with class overrides (ACAD = layers with layer overrides) to tweak it to display as required for a particular sheet. In AutoCAD I can't imagine working without using Viewports on Layout Tabs utilizing layer overrides for line weights, line types, colors, etc. In Vectorworks I can't imagine working without using Viewports on Sheet Layers utilizing class overrides for line weights, line types, colors, etc.

You can draw everything in ACAD Model Space and print from there and you can draw everything on Vectorworks Design Layers and print from there. But I wouldn't recommend either.

c

I am familiar with CAD and how it handles VPs and model/paper space. but since VW does not have model space, and everything is in "paper space"

for some reason you have several areas of Vectorworks where you are not using Vectorworks effectively. viewports, sheet layers, design layers and classes are extremely import to the effective use of Vectorworks.

You really need a good tutorial.. try this one?

https://secure.vectorworks.net/estore/training/vectorworks-essentials-tutorial

currently I am using VW fund 2013. all 2d, no bim or 3d. draw directly on a sheet exactly how i want it to layout and done. what you see is what you get.

Well you can speed up things quite dramatically if you use BIM(PIOs) for 2D only (e.g. using walls, doors and windows in Top/Plan view will probably cut drafting time by 50% straight off)

Viewports can be duplicated, rescaled, have their classes overridden to make the same model appear quite different depending on your class settings.

....and they can be annotated too!

thanks for all.

i agree that we are not using vectorworks to its fullest potential. the idea is that we use it in a way to keep things simple in order to keep things from fouling up. ie: out of control classes, broken links, etc. however, i think my biggest hang up is using classes, and how they can get out of whack.

we avoid using BIM, because it seems difficult to detail and control the graphic quality of the drawing. i know it can be done, but in my little experience so far, BIM becomes a hinderance when a window needs to look several different ways depending on the drawing...plan, detail, section, ele.....etc.

OMG! Trust me my friend, the things you are avoiding are the things can serve you tremendously... I don't see how any one can use VW and not reaping all the benefits the application has to offer. In the same token, I don't see how I can live w/o classes feature... VW Designer package is the only way to go. You want to get to the ultimate level one day, don't you?