Rendering changes when I add a lighting instrument??

Hi,

Sorry if this is a novice error but I haven't been able to find a solution to a problem.

I have just begun to learn 3d drawing in Vectorworks Spotlight and have created the venue. All renders fine and I get a nice looking image with shading showing off the building. As soon as I add a lighting instrument (a light from the Spotlight symbol library rather than a light for rendering purposes) the OpenGL render goes dark and all the shading and shadow disappears. If I switch off the layer containing the instruments the render goes back to normal. Is there a setting that means I get the nice rendering while also inserting my instruments into the drawing?

I have attached screenshots to show you what I mean. I'm using VW2012 on PC, but don't have Renderworks.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I've had the same problem for years, version after version.

Here's something else you'll notice: if you create a group within that drawing, and then double-click to edit the group while in OpenGL mode, you'll get a nice, rendered view, within that group.

I believe it has to do with the render light inside the symbol because as soon as you insert the instrument, there's a light object in the model with 0 intensity. However, adding a couple of directional lights to the model for rendering purposes doesn't really solve the issue well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

When there are no lights in a document Vectorworks creates its own default lighting. As soon as any light is added, even if it off, default lighting is no longer used and it is left to the user co control the lighting.

• 10 years later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Instead of turning the class off turn off the lights themselves, unless you need them for rendering purposes this is the best option with Spotlight lighting devices.
You can either do this in the lighting devices properties or using the right click context menu (make sure to group select the lights first).