LOCKING AN AXIS

Trying to learn roofs and stories when i ran across this video:

In it he is able to move an object in the z axis - apparently irrespective of the working plane. does anyone know how it's done? can i also DRAW this way? i think this would speed up my modeling a great deal without the constant hassle of creating a new working plane for every direction i draw in.

thanks

Yes. I was just drawing a 2D line. It's the same issue with poly line or 2D polygon, of course.

Here's the real issue: I do a lot of stage drawings for TV, and vectorworks has some particular features which really speed up my work flow; ie doors, walls and windows. However, i often need a custom object - such as a weirdly sized desk - in a room. But it doesn't have to be perfect, as i'm not creating a construction document just yet. The decorator and designer just needs to see how big it is in the room, and the director wants to see that it is unusually short as it is described in the script. If i build it as a 3D object, and put it in the plan, it has no fill. so then i have to create a hybrid symbol, and redraw the the thing in 2D, just so it obscures other objects, such as a rug or chair, in plan view. But i can't just draw it in 2D on the floor, because i also need to see it the elevation, and it needs to obscure base boards and chair rails.

My solution is to create, in essence, paper models. See attached images. this takes less time than 2D drawing over 3D shapes in complex hybrid symbols (that some co workers find frustrating to use), and would take even less time if i didn't have to constantly switch views and employ working planes...if ONLY i could draw in the Z axis.

Thanks again for all the responses. This forum is great. Maybe if VW is listening, they let me do it next year?

If you own any Industry Series VW's License (e.g.: Architect; Designer) then you already have a LOT of furniture (and other) symbols, all of which are 2d/3d Hybrids (they show solid in plan and show 3d attributes when in a 3d view). And they are scalable.

As to your second image, is this view Rendered? If so they should be solid (but only if they are built from "Closed" shapes and only if "Solid" is chosen from the Attributes Palette. I'm thinking that the shot is in Wireframe (which will always look like just that). Try Open GL or Hidden Line or any other Render Mode.

Also, if you use a Floor Object for the table/desk top it is also already 2d/3d Hybrid.

Lot of other tricks as well... Keep asking questions...

Sounds like you should be presenting your work in Shaded Polygon or Open GL render modes.

If you want to draw in paper you can always draw on the ground plane then Modify>Rotate>Rotate 3d to quickly have it stand up - or

Set a couple of Vertical Planes as references and Shift 1 click on them to activate them.

There is always the option to Save a Working Plane in the Working Plane Palette.

What you ask - to draw planar objects // to any of the primary axes in a 3d view isn't unreasonable though.

• 1 month later...