How to handle adding details to sheet layers

I have a sheet layer setup with a viewport of my floor plan. I would like to add some details to the sheet that will go above the floor plan. These details will be drawn in 2d at various scales. What is the best way to approach this?

Should I create a class and a layer for each detail scale and then create a viewport of each detail? I realized I can't just 'draw' the detail on the sheet layer because the sheet layer is at 1:1. So is the only option I have is to create a viewport of the detail and add the viewport to the sheet layer?

This seems like it is a very complicated way to get the result I am looking for. Has anyone found a better way to setup a sheet similar to the one I am describing?

Thanks!

For me it would depend on what I was detailing. If it was a detail of something that was not in the plan view (say a foundation detail), I'd create a new layer for it, and then use a viewport to place it on the sheet I wanted. If it was an enlarged view of an area of something in the plan (say a complicated corner where multiple walls came together), I'd duplicate the existing viewport, edit the crop, and change the scale of the duplicated viewport.

I'm probably wrong in how I use VW, but I use classes for actual objects within the drawing, and layers for walls. For instance, I use a layer for Existing Walls. I'll split the walls where they are being eliminated or shortened, then place those portions of the walls onto a layer I call Demo'd Walls. I then add a layer called New Walls, to place any new construction walls on. This method gives me the ability to show the various layers using visible, invisible, and greyed to create Sheets for Existing, Demolition, and Construction plans.

Windows and doors are then placed on the appropriate layer as well. All other objects, cabinetry, cabinetry doors, room moldings, floors, ceilings, lighting, and so on, get classed so that I can turn those off when needed to "unclutter" my drawings. For instance, I have 4 classes for cabinetry moldings alone! I know some like a minimum of classes, but for me, more is better.

Sorry for rambling. I know this is more than you asked for, but I just couldn't stop myself! LOL!

I would also create a design layer for the detail drawing. Then create a viewport of that drawing that would be place on the sheetlayer with your plan at the scale that you need and in which I would add all relevant notes. Materials could be separated by classes or all on the same class with different fill, textures etc... There is option there, I like to separate the materials in a master class with different classes for each. That allows me to have consistency throughout the drawing in how things are shown.

Hope that helps

Well, Peter show me how to do a section details one time. I took the process and explored further... I found the best way is to edit annotation of that particular viewport. Once you inside the edit mode, you can set up a new class or layer with whatever scale you want and work the details right on top of that view port. You can later decide whether or not to show those details at any given time through class and layer option. Wouldn't it be easier that way?