Section Viewport Workflow - Interior Elevations

Hello all, and thanks in advance for your advice.

I'm looking to draw interior room elevations of my project. This should include electrical outlets and switches, interior trim and details, and millwork. Currently, I'm cutting a Section Viewport and putting directly to a sheet, using Annotations to add all the details listed above.

My question is: Is there any way to do this in a Design Layer instead of a Sheet? When I use the Detail Viewports, the annotations (aka the important stuff) doesn't get viewported along with the model. I want to use the live section viewported model as a background to do the more detailed information in 2D, similarly to the Sheet -> Annotations strategy.. It's not practical to model every bit of trim and outlets in 3D.

The problem I'm finding with working in a Design Layer is that when I create the Section Viewport, it's beholden to the Design Layer's view (Top/Plan, Front, Back, Left, Right, etc). I want to draft in Top/Plan, but the Section Viewport also changes from "Front" to "Top/Plan" when I do that, and becomes worthless. I didn't have any luck using the "Screen Plane" and "Layer Plane" because a section viewport object doesn't have those properties.

Feel free to ask me to clarify. I hope I explained it properly.

When you say "........."to do the more detailed information in 2D........", do you mean add linework representing outlets, tile, certain cabinet lines, etc.?

Do you want your model converted to lines on a Design Layer for this portion of your drawings?

Tom

When you say "........."to do the more detailed information in 2D........", do you mean add linework representing outlets, tile, certain cabinet lines, etc.?

Do you want your model converted to lines on a Design Layer for this portion of your drawings?

Tom

I want that effect, but ideally the model would be live and update itself when I change the design. I know that you can convert a viewport to polygons/lines, but that negates the ability to keep my elevation updated based upon the model.

Try creating the section vp from your sheet layer plan view vp instead of the design layer.

-B

Interesting...however I tried it out and the Section Viewport still reacts to the Design Layer view. I'd like to draw in Top/Plan overtop a live Section Viewport. Thanks anyway!

Edited by MMarch

I don't quite understand your goal.

Sounds like you want 2d objects on a top plan layer to update shape and location to conform to changes in 3d objects on a different layer(s) displaying objects in 3d view(s). I don't think you can accomplish this.

However, the annotation space in Sheet Layer Viewports is indeed a Top/Plan drawing environment. If you place a plan view VP on a Sheet layer, and create a Section VP from that plan VP (Select the plan VP, Activate the Create Section VP command, Draw the sectioning line), you can enter the new Section VP annotation to draw any 2d objects you need in a top/plan environment. Sorry, they do not update to conform to changes in the design layers shown in the VP.

But why go to 2d? Model it in the design layer as a 3d object. A light switch, for example, can be a simple extrude or even a 3d polygon, or it can be an extrude for the junction box and another extrude for the cover plate. Make it a symbol or hybrid symbol and place instances of the symbol to control render times. Put these items in classes and layers which can be hidden when simpler presentation is desired.

Or maybe I'm not understanding. Keep posting here until you get what you need.

-B