Dimensions won't snap in annotation mode

After working with VW2013 for around a month I have come to the conclusion that is a bug-plagued piece of junk. I am bitterly, bitterly disappointed at how far this once great CAD program has fallen. It is simply a mess. Every day something new pops up. Today's bug-du-jour: when I go into annotation mode in a viewport to add dimensions the cursor will not snap to anything--except the invisible crop box. I can turn every snap on, but nothing happens. I've quit and reopened the application that was working fine on Friday, but has now become almost useless. I'm seriously considering moving back to VW12, even with its age-related bugs. Has anyone seen this particular one, not being able to snap in annotation view? Is there something simple I need to turn or or off? Very, very frustrated. Thanks for any help and sorry about the rant. I hope it is something simple that will make me look stupid so I can get back to work!

MHBrown

• Like 1

Its likely to do with the render state of the viewport. Is the viewport outdated with the dashed red line around it?

Likely it worked on Friday because the viewport was rendered. Make sure Save Viewport Cache is turned on in the Document Preferences so the rendered state of the viewport is saved. If its turned off, the rendered state you had on Friday was lost when you saved and quit at the end of the day.

Kevin

I found the bug; I'll try to describe it:

If you have a viewport placed on a sheet you can dimension it just fine in the original view. If you copy and paste it in the same sheet and change the orientation, say from Front to Right, it cannot be dimensioned. You have to go back to the Design Layer and create another viewport with the orientation you want and paste that one in your Sheet. This is a crippling bug for me. In VW12 I created one viewport and duplicated it three or four times, changing the orientation each time. I even did perspective views. I can still do this, but since the dimensions do not work I won't.

Yes I'm running SP3 and yes I rendered the viewport. Thanks for the tips, sometimes it is something simple like that. I wish that were true this time. The fact that VW2013 doesn't snap well makes drawing very difficult. I only turn on the snaps I need at the moment, but that doesn't work. right now I'm fixing a box frame structure that should be 10'0" tall, but is actually 9' 11 61/64" tall--all because the dimensions were snapping to arbitrary points. It was indicating it was snapping to a corner, but was 3/64" off. Very frustrating.

By the way, is there any way to turn of those annoying little arrows that I assume are showing the direction a plane was constructed. The serve no purpose whatsoever and I'd love to deep-six them, but I haven't seen a way.

Thanks again!

MHBrown

Please submit your example file to NV tech support as a bug.

Does it only happen with copy/paste? Can you option drag? Can you duplicate? What are the render settings for the viewport? Is it possible the viewport is corrupted?

I copy, paste, option drag and duplicate sheet layer viewports all the time and have never experienced the issue you're describing. I did a quick test and couldn't recreate it.

Regarding the little arrows, are they red NURBS direction arrows or something else?

Kevin