Convert 3D symbol from surveyor into stake object?

We've received 3D survey data in the form of a 3D symbol made from two 3D polygons to form a cross.

Is there any way to convert these into stake objects or something else that the DTM tool can read? Or do we need to go back to the surveyor and ask for it in a different form?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Christiaan

Here's what to do:

Create a 3D Locus somewhere away from the design.

Create a 3D only symbol from the 3D Locus.

Use Select Similar to select all the 3D Polygon symbols.

On the Object Info palette, click Replace.

Replace the 3D Polygon symbols with the 3D Locus symbol.

Modify > Convert to Group.

This will destroy the symbols and you will be left with 3D Loci. Each will have retained the Z value of its original symbol counterpart.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
Yes, that DOES work, BUT you end up with extra data which swells your file unnecessarily. Better to replace with the Locus, because then you get a single point in exactly the same place as the surveyor measured it.

Yeah did that, converted to Locus, but just didn't need to 'replace symbol'. I can see where the replace symbol part of your method would be useful: if you don't have symbols to start with, but just 3D polys/lines.

• 6 years later...

Is there a way to do this method whilst retaining the classes the original 3D symbols were on? I have many 3D symbols on many different classes. When I select them with the magic wand tool and convert them to 3D loci, following the method above, they all move onto the same class the original 3D loci was created on. This means I lose important information of what the 3D loci points represent e.g. Spot Heights, Tree Heights, Eave etc. making it complicated / creating inaccuracies when creating a site model.

I think, instead of selecting ALL of them, select each class separately and convert that selection to 3d loci, assign all the newly created loci to that class (or, the source locus can be assigned a class prior to the conversion).

Select a different class, and a new 3d locus, convert, assign class to the loci.

Repeat the process for each class or type of object.

-B

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 5/8/2013 at 3:27 PM, Tamsin Slatter said:

Hi Christiaan

Here's what to do:

Create a 3D Locus somewhere away from the design.

Create a 3D only symbol from the 3D Locus.

Use Select Similar to select all the 3D Polygon symbols.

On the Object Info palette, click Replace.

Replace the 3D Polygon symbols with the 3D Locus symbol.

Modify > Convert to Group.

This will destroy the symbols and you will be left with 3D Loci. Each will have retained the Z value of its original symbol counterpart.

Hope that helps!

Hi, for me it worked up until I replaced 3D polygons symbols with 3D Locus symbol. Then Modify - Group - it created a big group, but not destroyed symbols. I am not sure if I missed something here? 🙂

12 minutes ago, Vitute said:

Then Modify - Group - it created a big group, but not destroyed symbols. I am not sure if I missed something here?

You need to run the 'Convert to Group' command (Modify>Convert>Convert to Group) not Modify>Group

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

I would like to go one step further. 

I also have a survey, but the level markers have no corresponding elevations - they are 3D symbols with Z value set to 0.

I wonder if I can build a Marionette to convert the markers to 3D loci (as described by @Tamsin Slatter and others here) and assign them Z values based on the text next to the markers. It sounds simple enough but I only just started looking into Marionettes 😆.  

4 minutes ago, Michal Zarzecki said:

assign them Z values based on the text next to the markers

There are several scripts on the Forum which will convert text objects to 3D Loci with Z heights based on the text value. Obviously this would result in 3D Loci which are offset somewhat from the original 3D symbols which may or may not compromise the accuracy of your survey depending on the distances in involved...

This is one on them but I'm sure there are others:

• Like 1