Walls with multiple sidings

Hi all!

If this has been answered, please direct me, but searching the boards has been fruitless.

I have a wall with clapboarss, water table and shingles above. I'd like the wall to be accurate in the model and would like to use the wall components for take-off. The problem is wall components stack in the wall thickness direction and are inaccurate in detail renderings.

Take a look at my example. I've created a wall by hand with textured extrudes as well as a similar wall using components.

My questions are-

-Does anyone have a solution or does VW have some method of allowing a wall component directly above another wall component?

-Is there a maintainable way of hand-building the wall?

-If the wall is hand-built, is there a way to use the COMPONENTAREA and COMPONENTVOLUME functions?

Any tips would be appreciated!

-Geoff

steelydev,

currently there is no way to vertically stack components when creating wall styles.

Been on the wish list for quite sometime.

To create the look of multiple sidings, use a planar surface and apply a texture to it.

Might be able to use extract tool. Not sure about its use in VW2012. Been awhile since I used that version.

As far as reporting goes, other users are better suited to that purpose to answer your question.

-If the wall is hand-built, is there a way to use the COMPONENTAREA and COMPONENTVOLUME functions?

No, but if you know the width of the component, you can find it by class and get the volume of the 3D object. With the known width, you can calculate the area.

Any tips would be appreciated!

What you can do, and will get you also the worksheet results like componentarea and componentvolume, is creating your wall, with the outer component with an offset, so that you have one type of siding already there. The other part of siding, you can do that will a wall of one component in it's own class and on the same layer IN a GROUP or on another layer. It can be that you will have to modify the wall or draw it in pieces because of possible wall hole cuts from symbols and pios. The reason for putting it in a group when placed on the same layers is because then it will work better with wall joins etc because VW doesn't count the walls in groups for that.

There may be other solutions, but this will satisfy your need for the worksheet formulas. Personally, I have a model layer where I draw 3D extrudes of 0.1cm on top of the parts of the wall that have another finish and gave those objects a different texture.

Draw your main walls with the siding (assumed 7/8" thickness) held up 36" or whatever (Offset from Wall Bottom), and add a second wall 7/8" thick against the main walls. They should flush up if you lay down your walls following the gray inner lam of the siding line. The thinner wall is of course your shingle layer. I would create a new class for these new "walls".

Prior to drawing them, set the Class Options to Gray/Snap Others so you don't have conflicts of one wall bonding to the other.

Use the OIP under Render to add your shingle or lap siding to your walls by importing the texture from the Resource Palette. Water table or belly band drip trim goes on using Extrude Along Path.

Test your worksheet to confirm you are getting area volumes for the siding types.

Don't forget to turn your Class back to Show/Snap Modify Others.

Tom

Edited by Tom G.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm going to live with inaccurate thicknesses of the wall sidings for maintainability and only need the areas, not the volumes. So the clapboards will be thin, the shingles will be thin and the belly band/water table will be thin, but on top. For rake walls (can't use the offset from top!), I'm making walls with only two components (clapboards and water table) and then adding a thin wall above (with the appropriate class(es) & textures).

-Geoff