Doors with side lights

Hi I'm wanting to insert a external door with half height side lights, I can find a way to do this for full side lights but I can't find the way to raise the window sill height. Is this possible....?

I've done a search of the forum but haven't managed to find a solution.

Can anyone help...

Tim

Edited by tim woolcott

Even having a sidelight with a bottom rail that matches the door bottom rail would be an improvement. As is, the sidelight glazing has no entry field and always starts at the level of the door threshold, unlike any sidelight I've ever seen.

A quick scroll through a hundred door views on Google Images (entry door sidelights) shows exactly ONE sidelight where the glazing goes to the floor.

Tom

• 3 years later...

I agree it's a real problem since you wouldn't want a door sidelight on a window schedule so you need to keep the sidelight as part of the door since that's how it will be produced. The lack of customization is something which needs to be worked on. This is a problem with the transom as well since if you have two sidelights with a transom, the transom is one piece over the door and the sidelights and the frame cannot be broken up over the sidelights.

• 5 months later...

if you are using Windoor, you can use the vertical divisions to create a full height door with ½ height sidelight next it. With the standard Vectorworks doors and windows you can’t create this object using the same technique, but there is a way to do it. create the door and sidelight that you require and make sure that the jam of the door in the sidelight overlap.

Select the door and window. Make a symbol from them. 

When you create a door, choose the option to use Symbol Geometry and use your door symbol. This allows you to use the door object and add it to your schedule.

2017-01-29_8-38-48.png

2017-01-29_8-39-51.png

• 5 years later...

i'm a little late to the convo but I'm still using vectorworks 2016

Try this:

1. Create a trimmed opening for the overall width of the opening (this will be the door that cuts the hole in the wall)
  2. Create a second door that will be the actual operating door (change the jamb depth to 1", change the interior and exterior trim depth to 1" and the trim width to 3")
  3. Duplicate the operable door and change the width to the size of your sidelight
  4. Line it up with the trim of the operable door (created in step 2)
  5. Remove the interior and exterior trim, remove the hardware
  6. Set the opening rotation to 0 degrees and
  7. Set the L/R Stile Width to 1-1/2"
  8. Duplicate this "sidelight" and move it to the other side of the operable door  (created in step 2)
  9. Group the operable and 2 sidelights

You should now have the following:

1 trimmed opening that will cut the hole for your full door 

a group containing

1 operable door

2 sidelights

Place the trimmed opening in the location you want the door and then align the center of the group with your trimmed opening

now you can set the operable door on the schedule and call out the sidelights

you can now add transoms over each door/sidelight

if you want 1 transom over the full door then add it to the trimmed opening

if you add a transom you may want to increase the size of the Mullion depth so it overlaps the top trim of the operable door

if you want to add a threshold add it to the trimmed opening

It's not perfect but better than the default tool and I think it is better than using a door and 2 windows.

Cheers!