referencing plant symbols and 2D details from dropbox

Can you refer me to a tutorial or recommend a solution for referencing plant symbols and detail symbols from my dropbox account? I would like to be able to have a VW file that automatically updates as a source file when I revise or add a plant symbol or construction detail.

Am I using the resource browser incorrectly? I usually import the plant symbol folder and detail folders into a new file and then use them in the new file, thus when I revise the symbol or add to the folder there is not an automatic way to have the original VW file updated.

I also have a VW Cloud account and would be happy to store the reference symbol files there if dropbox cannot 'sync'

Hopefully there are settings for a new file with the appropriate references-

Thank you in advance-

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Bob

You just need to add the Plant Symbols file as a Resource Browser favorite. On the Resource Browser, find the Files menu, and choose Add New Favorite Files. Navigate to the file on the Dropbox and choose it. This will now be available to browse at any time while you are working on any VW document.

Resources, including plants, can only be updated in the current document. However, once you've made a new plant, or edited an existing one, just right-click and choose Export to send a copy back to your master plant file.

You COULD reference the plant file and it's resources directly into your project, but the danger with that method is that any changes you make to plants you have already used on other projects may be updated in those older projects. This may not be desirable.

As you have a VW Cloud account, you are also a Vectorworks Service Select member. There is a tutorial within the portal that covers how to reference symbols and the implications of doing so.

Hope that helps