HELP PLEASE , VW will not open

Try deleting your User folder first and make Vw create a new one. Move any custom content files (Library, Template, etc.) in the user folder to a temporary location first. If Vw starts okay then you can proceed with adding them back progressively so you can isolate any files that are corrupted. Restart Vw after each addition.

Thank you very much everyone for your help. I think I found the answer on the knowledge base section. I followed the reset actions recommended and at least VW restarts now. My latest file and its backups seem to have issue though.

Here is the link with the knowledge base article (nice to at least get back working):

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1099/Resetting+Vectorworks+Preferences#OSX%20107-108

Again, thank you to everyone for your time trying to help, very much appreciated.

Best to all

If the problem is happening with a range of files then you may need to reinstall Vw.

If the problem is with just one file then you need to look more closely at that file.

I would start with checking to make sure that the drawing doesn't have distance from origin issues or distant objects because both cause rendering problems which can include crashes. Check that the drawn information:

- Is not a long way from the origin. You can do this by turning the rulers on.

- Does not contain information a long way from the drawing origin. You can do this by turning all Classes on and with nothing selected use fit to objects.

I used to have freezes on my MBPro with just OpenGL rendering. Upgrading my memory to 8 gigs made the rendering engine work much better. I have MenuMeters (a free pref pane) on the menubar to monitor the processor and memory - sometimes it's good to wait for the processor to finish a high quality rendering of a viewport before working on the computer again. Especially when the CPU's got the cooling fan's speed set on high.

I reinstalled VW, was able to open an earlier version of the file but after saving a few times and closing the program, the same thing happened all over again. Cannot open my file and crashes on VW startup. I had setup VW to reopen the previous file automatically and therefore I am on a loop. Stuck without being able to work. What a major PAIN that is

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Christian,

Can you do us a favor and put your computer specs and version of Vectorworks in your profile. It'll make it easier sometimes to figure out issues (and it'll avoid us having to ask "What OS are you on, etc.)

Wes

I omitted to mention that when checking extents that you should also do this in an elevation view so you pick up distant objects in the Z direction.

Several months back I had a file that would not render correctly. I eventually tracked the problem down to an imported DWG object that had a 3D fragment which was several kilometres above the rest of the object. That was enough to corrupt the Open GL renderings.