Please! Display feet & inches in worksheets with a dash!

Markus Barrera-Kolb

Question

Please, please, please make the feet & inches display in worksheets look like

12'-3" instead of 12'3"

Feet and inches are displayed this way in dimension objects, it's the way feet and inches have been shown in the U.S. for as long as I'm aware of, certainly in architecture, and it's just plain easier to read! Yes, I wish Jimmy Carter had managed to make us switch to SI, but I think we're just too stubborn and/or dumb as a nation, but don't get me started...

Adding the dash just doesn't seem like it would require a giant programming effort.

11 answers to this question

But probably unnecessary seing as the rest of the world seems to be able to manage perfectly adequately with 15'6".

There are very few habits that have not been corrupted by the US "Do as we say!" as Feet and inches has so far escaped and most of us manage very well on it, please leave it as is while it still works.

If i can't read i wear glasses, works EVERY time!

AndiACD - so does the UK version display feet and inches as 15'6" for dimension objects as well? The US version uses 15'-6" for dimensions. Again, it doesn't seem like it would take very exotic programming to add a dash, or even, gasp!, to give us the option of either using a dash (everywhere, consistently) or not. And wait, are you saying that the UK is still not fully on SI either? So do we get to blame you guys for our backward ways, dash or no dash? I think most of 'the rest of the world' is using just one unit to measure distance (and it ain't a digit, hand, inch, foot, yard, cubit, ell, rod, fathom, furlong, statute mile, nautical mile, or league).

...typed while wearing my glasses.

Cheers,

Markus

Markus, i never mind the ability to "Add" a method of using software. NAG would benefit greatly by listening to it's users requests more, but i always hope to avoid the "Blanket" changes that are so often implemented software "C?'s".

And i'm happy with the 6'3" style without the hyphen and if your request is taken note of, that it is done by the user being obliged to dig around in the preferences/settings box and choose his/her display mode, not that it be added as standard with no method of removing it.

Beside i was taught that the - is part of the subtraction procedure.

And

You're right, AndiACD, and that would make 12'-3" mean: 12 degree minutes minus 3 degree seconds. That doesn't make an ounce of sense, does it? Wait, is that a unit of mass or volume? Let's hear it for British Imperial units...

Anway, Nemetschek, you could make us both (and likely lots of other folks) happy by giving us the option to either use the dash or not, consistently throughout the app! Please?