Arc Length Dimension Tool

Kevin McAllister

Question

I would like better user interface functionality with the Arc Length Dimension Tool. If the tool only allows dimensioning on a single arc, why doesn't clicking on the arc activate the dimension automatically. Its silly to have to select both end points of the arc.

Here's the scenario -

I'm trying to dimension a series of openings along a curved wall. I've drawn a series of arcs that delineate each segment of the wall to be dimensioned. I go to dimension my first arc using the Arc Length Dimension Tool. I select the start point of the first arc and then try selecting the end point. Because the end point of the first arc and the start point of the second arc are coincident the tool fails, giving me the message that I need to select two points on the same arc.

The tool needs to be simpler and smarter than this. Its supposed to make the job easier, not harder and more frustrating.

Enough said,

Kevin

(Yes, yes there are work arounds. Yet more work and less productivity.)

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

I am bumping this wish. Its funny when you go to add a new wish list item, start typing in the Subject field and your browser autocompletes the phrase you're typing. Ironically it was a lot harder to search the forum to find my old post. The forum search really needs an overhaul.

But that aside, this wish for better functionality in the Arc Length Dimension Tool is still very needed.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Agreed, making the user click both ends manually shouldn't be necessary. I would think that double-clicking an arc with this tool should simply dimension it from end to end, but if a user wanted to just dimension to a specific point along the arc, they could use the tool as it is now. Submitting request now.

-

I dislike the search immensely. As a tip, I have better luck first signing into the forums, then using Google to search them directly instead of using the built in search by using this method:

site:http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ (your search terms not in parenthesis)

That aims Google at our forums specifically. Its a workaround but more of a general internet one than a Vectorworkaround. But we are in talks about upgrades, If I hear news I can pass along I will do so.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the search tips. That's good to know.

but if a user wanted to just dimension to a specific point along the arc, they could use the tool as it is now.

Interesting. I didn't know this was actually possible. I've tried in the past and it almost always failed. I am always dimensioning arcs in sheet layer viewport annotations. Everything I draw is a 3d model and all my drawings are created using viewports. VW used to have trouble recognizing curves that were part of 3d geometry, even in straight on views.

After some experimenting its clear this has been improved/fixed which I did not know. I've continued to use my old method of redrawing an invisible curve in the annotations and dimensioning that which it seems I don't need to do.

I've learned a lot from this experiment.

Kevin

I'm bumping this wish. At least one thing in this thread has been solved - the forum search is now awesome :D

Please could we have improvements to the Arc Dimension tool? In addition to my original wish, the tool should recognize a circle as an arc as well as arc segments in a polyline. I often need to do stuff like in the image below. Right now I have to draw helper arcs and fight with the tool to dimension those. Certain tools should also limit the snaps they see - extra snap points really mess up this particular tool.

Kevin

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 12.49.41 PM.png

• Like 4

I have to draw helper arcs all the time too. It would be fantastic if the Arc Dimension tool more consistently recognized arc-like segments as Kevin suggests. It would also be great if the tool worked on Section Viewports. I assume it doesn't currently work because sectioned objects aren't composed of true curves, but rather a bunch of short, straight segments? (which I infer because Section Viewports have a "3D Conversion Resolution").

As a related issue, I would like the arc length and angular dimension tool to work directly on curved walls. It seems silly that the regular dimensions work properly on rectangular walls, but as soon as you use curved walls, you have to add additional arcs and then dimension off of that. Also curved walls don't work at all with the "dimension exterior walls" tool.

• Like 1