3D Wall Hole Component question

I am trying to add a 3D wall hole component to a custom symbol definition and as I make the selection to edit '3D Wall Hole Component' from the Edit Symbol dialog box I enter an editing window that shows nothing at all. If I zoom to extents or navigate around there is still nothing.

I have already confirmed my Vectorworks preferences are set to 'show other objects in editing modes' so that should rule that out. I confirmed all classes were visible as well.

I have never used the wall hole option before but would of expected to at least be able to see the 3D component already drawn within the symbol.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Thank you.

Its a bug (kind of).

Here is the workaround. Go into edit 3D wall hole component and you must right click on the symbol to do this (not right click edit from the resource browser).

Once in edit mode exit it then back on the design layer drag out the symbol from the wall and then drag it back into the wall. Right click edit (again not from the resource browser) the wall hole component and all will work fine and you will see the 3D object etc.

this has worked 100% of the time for me without any issues.

Its a bug (kind of).

Here is the workaround. Go into edit 3D wall hole component and you must right click on the symbol to do this (not right click edit from the resource browser).

Once in edit mode exit it then back on the design layer drag out the symbol from the wall and then drag it back into the wall. Right click edit (again not from the resource browser) the wall hole component and all will work fine and you will see the 3D object etc.

this has worked 100% of the time for me without any issues.

I think the bug is that you see it after reinserting....

When the 'Wall Hole' capability was first implemented in Vw 2009 the 3D Wall Improvements feature movie showed that you could see the 3D Symbol part when you wanted to add a Wall Hole part. When I try it in Vw 2009 now you can't and my guess is that this is due to an Apple OS change.

When the 'Wall Hole' capability was first implemented in Vw 2009 the 3D Wall Improvements feature movie showed that you could see the 3D Symbol part when you wanted to add a Wall Hole part. When I try it in Vw 2009 now you can't and my guess is that this is due to an Apple OS change.

Ow, I don't remember that and I have never seen this happening as far as I can remember.

barkest,

I want to thank you for the videos you've put together! Very, nicely done. I've watched all of them, and have re-watched a few several times. They are excellent VW learning tools. I'm looking forward to more! (hint). I just wanted to thank you publicly for taking the time to create and publish them. The info may be common knowledge to many here, but I found a lot of great tips and enjoy a much better understanding of the program due to your generosity.

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...

Barkest's video on this topic helped me understand. So generous. In v2020 I've just encountered the "no visible wall hole" problem when editing the symbol from the resource manager. And after this thread solved it as advised. And I can also now edit the wall hole object from the RM too.  Actually there seems a logic to editing the WHO in context anyway...the best place to do that. Thank you again all for your time and expertise.