plane of extrude

I'm the type of user (I'm sure there are a lot) that is self-taught. So while I feel like I know how to do a lot, there are some basic workflow things that I've always just worked around without really learning them.

Here's the situation:

I have a file into which I've imported a 2D dwg from a designer. I'm trying to make 3D models on top of it. I put the import into a layer, and start my model in another layer. Say I'm making a plywood box. In front view, I draw the rectangle on top of the designer's drawing, and extrude it to be the front face. I switch to plan (or top) and draw the top of the box and extrude that. I switch back to front and the second extrude is 1000' away front the first. It's a big pain to keep dragging things down into place.

I've tried setting the working plane to the top of the first extrude, with no luck. I'm pretty unclear about working planes in general--I tend to always work in the screen plane.

Any suggestions?

Your issue stems from the screen plane having no real coordinates to the model space. It's a confusing and often discussed subject around here.

If you have a modelling background (other 3d programs) you might find it easier to switch off the screen plane (in the preferences) and fly about your model creating working planes with which to extrude them. Just make sure you are set to working plane rather than layer plane.

The other solution would be to build as you do on the shop floor, everything laying on the layer plane. Then rotate/move into place.

Jonathan's right, getting some tutorials might be helpful. There's not much out there for scenic designers and scenic shops, which is a particular way of building.

Anything I can help you with, let me know.

Thanks for the replies. I could certain use the investment of time in a manual. Some day. . .

For now, maybe someone can help me get my head around this. In this example (file attached) in top/plan I drew a rectangle in the screen plane and extruded it. Switching to front, it's y (or z in 3D) 1' 8.597". Why not 0"? Must be settable. . .

Its bottom Z is at 0.

Select the object and look in the Object Info Palette.

In this drawing you seem to have moved the 2d origin and moved the Page origin.

Run Tools>Set Origin>Set Origin to drawing center to reset it and

Double Click on the Move Page tool (below the Pan tool) to reset it also.

note.

The keyboard shortcut for Move Origin is 'Cmd 9' and

Move Page 'Opt z' so it's quite possible you've inadvertently invoked these.