Extract 2D only from auto hybrid symbol?

Is there anyway to copy/extract just the 2D element of an auto hybrid symbol?

The reason I want to do this is as I already have a library of hybrid symbols with both 2D and 3D elements but the auto hybrid draws the 2D element of the symbol far better than the current 2D elements that I have at the moment. Therefore I want to extract just the 2D from the auto hybrid and add it to my existing symbol.

Cheers,

Will

Guest Wes Gardner

The way I have set up the Auto-Hybrid is to "Use Class Attributes" for the three "Variables" - Below Cut Plane, At Cut Plane and Above Cut Plane.

If you "Convert to Group" you'll get three groups that represent those variables. Any one of those could then be added to your existing symbol to create the look you're after.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm sorry if my post was confusing. I've attached a file showing what i'd like to achieve.

P Retondo - When I delete the 3D content it alters the 2D accordingly as they are linked. (unless there is a way around this..?)

Wes Gardner - When you convert it to a group it doesn't create 'whole' shapes which makes it difficult to alter the colour of 2D graphic.

DWorks - Wouldn't that mean i'd have to add all of the record format data from my existing symbol to the auto-hybrid symbol which would take quite a while.

Thanks DWorks. That works well, although is there any way to unlink the 2D and the 3D elements?

For example if I delete something from the 3D model (let's say one of the pillows on the bed) it will update the 2D elements also. I know you are probably thinking "why would you want to do this?", but some times we do so it would be useful if you could change the 3D element without the 2D automatically updating...

Thanks DWorks. That works well, although is there any way to unlink the 2D and the 3D elements?

For example if I delete something from the 3D model (let's say one of the pillows on the bed) it will update the 2D elements also. I know you are probably thinking "why would you want to do this?", but some times we do so it would be useful if you could change the 3D element without the 2D automatically updating...

- Then you must keep the symbol like you had.

- Convert the auto-hybrid to it's 2D objects

- cut and past into your symbol 2D part.