divide tool?

There are some commands (at least on our workspace), under Tools/Drafting Aids called "line into segments" and the "distribute" tools. Since VW 9 my line into segments doesn't work, and I could never figure out the distribuite commands. What I do now is use the "snap distance" tool on the Constraints pallete. I enter the fractional seperations I want to place (like 1/5 for 5 equal divisions), and place loci or lines to do the work. Its cumberson, but it does the trick. Hope this helps...

There is also a split tool with two modes - split by point and by line. You would want the point mode if you are using a line. You can then select the split tool and click on the points where you want them to split.

You may want to use the Datum point to keep in line the distance each point is.

Jim & Katie,Thanks for your replies. I apologize, but I think I need some more hand-holding to get me through your suggestions confused.gif" border="0

Please bear with me...my goal is to place rectangles (mullions) onto an "S-shaped" polyline at 5 equal spaces along the line. Also, I'd like to have each mullion rotated to the polyline's perpendicular at each placement point (if that's even possible!).

Jim,My "line into segments" also doesn't work. I guess I have the wrong type of shape??? Who knows? It would be nice if that tool worked on more than just "lines". Hopefully that's something that will be improved. Yeah, I agree, the distribute command is confusing.

I'm trying to figure out your last suggestion with the "snap distance" tool. OK, I have my "S" shaped polyline drawn. I have "snap to distance" as the only snap button activated. I have my "place locus" tool active. I'm not sure how or where to do the rest. Could you walk me through the "fractional separations" part?

Katie,I have the split by point tool active. I don't understand what you mean by "use the Datum point to keep in line the distance each point is." Is this what assures me that the line is divided into equal-lengthed segments? Please explain.

Thanks for the help,Dan

The way it works is you double click on "snap distance" icon, and indicate the fractional (0r percent, or distance) divisions in the pop up window. If there is going to be more than 3 divisions, check the "multiple divisions" box in this window before hitting the ok button. With the snap button highlighted, you can place loci (or line, circles, rectangles,...) along a line at the "along line" indication on the smart cursor. Check the VW help command or you manual for this. It should work ok.....

Well, I figured out how that method works. Thanks Jim.

It works fine on a straight line, but I can't get it to work on a curved polyline! You can do this in two seconds in other programs. Not only is the VW method incredibly tedious, it's insane that I can't do this on certain shapes!

So, you're telling me there's no way for me to equally space and align objects on a curved centerline?!!! Are you kidding me? You know what scares me even more is that I seem to be the first one in this forum to ask how to do this!

It really makes me wonder if this is a program I should be using for construction drawings. It still seems like a "Mini" CAD program, to me.

Dan, The more I've thought about this, the floating datum might not be that helpful if you are working with a curved polyline.

The split tool will help, it's just a matter of getting it broken in the right places.