Door Hardware - where is it and how do you access it?

Ever since VW 2010 I have never once got the door hardware to appear in the door settings sub pane.

I have had to manually open the Door Hardware.vwx file and then line up whatever handles etc etc I wanted by hand.

Massive time waster so I just don't bother but people have started commenting on the lack of handles etc.

I have put the Door Hardware.vwx file in 3 places,

1) the default under Applications where it installs.

2) In my User Data and Preferences location file Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/2013 location

3)My Workgroup and Project folders location.

Nothing. Not even a sniff.

Any ideas why it doesn't work.

Matt

Edited by Mattheng
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe I should clarify, I do use hardware unless the building is not much more than a massing model which is a fair part of my work. In that case the basic figure is enough.

I am, unfortunately, doing more detailed building work and this is becoming a problem because everything in the door hardware is a separate object that needs lining up.

Could anyone tell me at least what is supposed to happen?

Do all the parts magically put themselves on the door in the right place or do you still have to spend a while lining them up?

Thanks.

Matt

Matt,

I just used the Door Tool for the first time the other day. Using it you add hardware by going to the settings in the OIP. Then I needed to change the color of the handle so after I put the hardware on the door I went to the handle symbol in the resource browser (file I was working on), and I edited the color there. Also, you may want to investigate the "manage hardware" business in the door tool setting dialog box.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer
  • 2 weeks later...

Same with me. I've had many issues with the door hardware dialogues. I can never add new hardware in the "MANAGE" options dialogue, or "EDIT" the four basic options. I just change the symbol color and call out what i actually want. In situations where i really need an accurate drawing, i just start from scratch.

Another curious thing is that my door hardware.vwx only has four options in it, and none of them are the ones i'm aloud to use.

I hope a super user finds and answers this thread. This has always bugged me.

Matteng,

You may already be doing this.

See Image

Select Door

Click on Settings Button

Click on Hardware at Left Column

Check the Include Hardware Box

Click on Manage Hardware

Make sure of the hardware lists is highlighted (usually blue)

Click on Edit Button

Edited by taoist
  • 2 weeks later...

I get this far, but then none of my changes take effect. I can only select four of the basic types of hardware, and i can only change their color.

How do you keep the other hardware options when you exit?

I've attached a video of what happens. It would be super cool if i could get this to work.

thanks

I've had a run-in with door hardware too. If you can avoid it then I recommend you do.

I had two problems while trying to create a door hardware schedule. One was that door hardware sets don't act like a resource; if you edit a set you have to reapply it to all the doors you want it to apply to. The other little problem I had was that all the hardware sets I painstakingly created and applied to hundreds of doors disappeared from my model, to be replaced with the default sets. Difficult one to bug report that too.

I've also recently had trouble getting my hardware choice to stick. The whole structure of choosing handles seems very Byzantine.

I'd also like the option to have the door handle set to a US residential height of 36", not the commercial height of 42" which seems the default.