Creating underground buildings in a dtm

Dieter @ DWorks

Question

We can't create an underground parking space, or a metro line, ... in a dtm. I asked for this before, and I ask it now again because this is needed, not only for underground buildings, but for foundations that go a bit around the building where there will be ground above a part of them..... Currently I'm never able to use a section through a dtm because it always covers a part of the foundation.

Edited by DWorks

8 answers to this question

absolutely! i have had to go to extremes to come up with solutions to underground structures (like inserting a second dtm--ridiculous, yes?). there has to be a better way.

as for sections through site, bryan is right. i usually end up tracing over the section viewport then turning the dtm class off...not very sophisticated.

ray

yes, peter, you can do that. that's what i use the second dtm for. and in a rendered perspective view it looks okay. but in top/plan it is almost impossible to get continous-looking contour lines, and in section it is a mess--but as bryan pointed out, sections thru the dtm are kind of a mess anyway.

ray

the problem in my opinion is the inconsistency of frequently used capabilities. You can do almost anything in VW but to what lengths do you have to go to achieve the outcome. For instance on the architecture side would it be cost effective to design a wall if you had to place and represent each individual stud vs. the wall tool which does this for you. Or in Landscaping place and label each individual plant vs. the plant tool and plant grouping.

The underground capabilities have far reaching possibilities both architecturally and landscape. For me not only the ability to show basements or sub level construction easily but for sections show the coordination of piping and structure around septic tanks, grey water tanks, infiltration systems and so on.

We live in a complex world and many items exist below ground if we are truly moving to a 3D world lets not forget about sub grade. And lets be able to accomplish this without having to resort to just getting by and using more steps than necessary to accomplish the task.

• Like 1

Bumping this feature-request. Trying to do a section viewport including a DTM and it's a complete fail. DTM portion is opaque & shows no sub-surface details, e.g. footings & posts for a fence in this case.

Need option in SVP to control how objects appear when a DTM is included --  totally hidden (as they are now,) or totally exposed (showing only the ground surface line of the DTM,) or dashed-hidden-line render below the DTM surface.

• Like 1