Service Pack 3

Only that a file was corrupt or missing in the install (perhaps because the jobsite I downloaded the installer from had an extremely poor connection which failed repeatedly?). And as a consequence I had to uninstall the entire app and reinstall it and all the little personalizations we all love about the app.

To test VW SP3 I tried to get it to crash by doing multiple re-renders, and opening a lot of drawings, while watching the real memory used by VW. It was stable until I got over 2.2gb of real memory used - then it crashed.

So as stated in another thread when VW gets to near 2gb Ram used -regardless of how much ram your system has available , it is prone to crash.

So not sure if its any better in this regard than Sp2, but getting to 2Gb used took some intentional abuse.

Just redrawing one complex drawing with fairly complex lighting did not get to near 2Gb too very easily but having about 6 drawings open really added a lot of overhead to VW's Ram usage.

FWIW

I have been having problems with SP3 and SP2, when generating site model sections I get the profile lines and the border but the lables and station lines are only generated for half the section. I did a fresh re-install without updating and tested a site model, the section worked fine. I then updated directly to SP3 (bypassing 1 and 2 as the error first presented in SP2) and when I tested it I had the same error occur. I have logged this with vss (our VectorWorks support service) but has anyone else found this problem?

Taoist wrote "Max ram for 32 bit is 4gb.

The system uses about 1gb leaving about 3gb for use.

Wonder when VW is going to 64 bit (if ever)?"

I changed from XP to Windows 7 64 bit, with 16 GB RAM to help me with my rendering programme, (Artlantis). I assumed it would also help me with my VW2013, because it was impossibly slow. See earlier post. This change from XP to Windows 7, although catastrophic in time and energy, saved my sanity in both programmes. My VW2013 now works very well, well up to speed. I was on 4GB RAM before, thus only 3 GB is used. Why suddenly is there a fundamental change in speed, because as I understand it, VW cannot use the other 13GB RAM, still using only 3GB? I can now use VW2013 productively, whereas before , under XP, it was impossible, slow, slow and sticky.

Artlantis is also much improved because, as I understand it, it can use a 64 bit platform.

I also have a problem at the moment with attributes on a file. It is set to a attribute default of line and fill, but whatever I do, the object I draw, or text, does something entirely different. Does anybody have any thoughts about this problem? New files work as they should.

I also have a problem at the moment with attributes on a file. It is set to a attribute default of line and fill, but whatever I do, the object I draw, or text, does something entirely different. Does anybody have any thoughts about this problem? New files work as they should.

Sounds like the active class has settings which control the attributes and the Use at Creation box is checked. This would override any different conditions or settings in the Attributes Palette.

Just a guess.

-B

Thanks Benson,

It was something half way in between.

Somehow I had produced a class "guides" which I did not produce. Computers!!!!! This had attributes attached. I changed default to another class, tweeked the attributes, and everything is OK for now. However, after working with VW since Minicad 6, I knew nothing about the "Use at Creation" box. One learns day by day, Thanks.

I'm finding the Stair tool even more buggy than ever. Nosing lines have always been arbitrary, but now stair data & arrows seem to have a mind of their own. I wish there were an alternative to the stair PIO but I digress...

For some reason some files are just coming to a stand still. Others not so much. Problem seems worst on newly created files from an empty Template. Older files seem more or less fine. So should I create brand new Templates each time I install a service pack?