A custom drawing label using nested symbols

My office is in the process of setting up VW CAD standards. One of the issues I've been struggling with is getting a drawing label symbol that is acceptable to all. The default VW drawing label does not work for us and I understand that it cannot be edited at the script level by the user.

I came up with this solution by creating a nested symbol. It is composed of a symbol that has the typical circle and associated text. The text is linked to a record. This allows the record attributes for each drawing label instance to be edited in the Object Info palette. This avoids the hassle of editing each text object. The line of the drawing label is a group that can be easily adjusted to any length.

If it was a single symbol the line length could not be adjusted at the instance level. If it were a single symbol and converted to a group the link to the record would be broken.

The nested symbol is setup to convert to a group upon insertion, and the units are page-based so it should scale based on the design layer scale.

It is not as elegant as a scripted solution with a pop-up dialog but it works - so far. More testing is needed, but if this process holds up I can see creating all of our custom symbology this way. This would make managing the symbology a much simpler task than it currently is in our office.

Please take a look and let me know your thoughts.

• 2 months later...

pma2011, thanks for doing this.

I was wanting to make modifications as well and figured I would need to do something like this. And there you did it already.

Great job.

This looks like it will work. Though I'm still struggling attaching records.

Sure wish VW would enable making modifications and applying text styles to the drawing label. It should not be this hard.