Plumbing Pipe Fittings

On 3/19/2022 at 7:55 PM, mjm said:

Isn't this the exact purpose of a PIO?

I don't know if You know what I wanted to say? 
I was writing about unnecessary multiplication of symbols after any modification (like cutting hole into symbol) we have to create a new symbol. After all we will have a multiple line report concerned on one product - base symbol and its modifications. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Piotr Karczewski said:

I don't know if You know what I wanted to say? 
I was writing about unnecessary multiplication of symbols after any modification (like cutting hole into symbol) we have to create a new symbol. After all we will have a multiple line report concerned on one product - base symbol and its modifications. 

@Piotr Karczewski It's likely entirely likely I did not understand. My apologies. What I thought I understood is that symbol variants unnecessarily proliferate when needing to be modified. This is a problem indeed, one I have faced a few times. But in my impression a PIO is designed to accommodate any number of variables (see the Spotlight SoftGoods tool or Indoor or interiorcad). Maybe I'm attributing too much to the possibilities of the PIO -  not sure.

And also maybe those PIOs operate in too narrow a definition of variability to be effective for your needs?

I can completely understand the desire for 'editable instances' of symbols - very cool idea.

• 1 year later...

This seems relevant to this topic --

In VW Designer 2023, is there any way to actually wrap editable text labels directly on a 3D surface such as the outside of a pipe?

I know this can be simulated using Textures but that's a round-about way which doesn't allow easy, direct editing or arbitrary drag/drop movement of the resulting label. Textures are really optimized for repeating patterns, not single label locations...

How do I do a label that looks like this... but is in fact fully wrapped / placed on the 3D outer surface of the pipe, not just "hanging in space" as a planar text label that doesn't show correctly when changing 3D perspective?

ScreenShot2023-05-27at8_35_57PM.thumb.jpg.b0a44c546bd5d5daba80fba162af2114.jpg

ScreenShot2023-05-27at8_36_38PM.thumb.jpg.02ed7c48889aae381b61ff2f0419ba19.jpg

Edited by Gilbert Osmond
10 hours ago, Gilbert Osmond said:

In VW Designer 2023, is there any way to actually wrap editable text labels directly on a 3D surface such as the outside of a pipe?

I know this can be simulated using Textures but that's a round-about way which doesn't allow easy, direct editing or arbitrary drag/drop movement of the resulting label. Textures are really optimized for repeating patterns, not single label locations...

How do I do a label that looks like this... but is in fact fully wrapped / placed on the 3D outer surface of the pipe, not just "hanging in space" as a planar text label that doesn't show correctly when changing 3D perspective?

Easily editable is where you may run into some difficulty.  Here are a couple of ways to at least accomplish the task:

• Texture Decal.  Create an image file for each label needed.  Keep it editable in your image editing program.  Generate new .png files as required to remake the decal textures.
  • Project Text to Surface.  Make a string of text in Vectorworks.  Convert it to polys.  Use Project to send those polys to the face of your surface.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, digitalcarbon said:

I made this a long time ago and it was very very very involved.

Right... that's why I was hoping there was some way to just do a magic text label that could be applied as a a "wrap" or "send to surface", behaving exactly like a Texture Bed ... but retaining its characteristics as a fully-editable normal text field...

• Like 1

there were two reasons this mapping was useful.

1. when I made videos of the project and would fly around i did not have to remember what stuff was.  I could just read it as I flew by.

2.  If VPs were rendered in OpenGL then the labeling would show and i did not have to annotate as much.

I stopped using this approach when i switched over to Onshape as the items are called out in a BOM.

• Like 1

From these posts I know I am adding to the expertise of piping maestros! In my simple domestic projects I have drawn, for example, sanitary piping layouts in the annotation layer of view ports. Or sometimes on a design layer. In the MEP toolset the piping tool does still seem to be diagrammatic one (vwx 2023 SP5). So in the next project I shall draw sanitary pipework in 3d using the duct tool set to round.

• Like 1