Can't create a suface from NURBS curves

So i have this problem where i can't make two NURBS curves into a filled surface. I've tried compose, but then i can't fill the shape. I've tried compose -> 3d power pack -> create surface form curves, but i get the error: "Surface could not be created from NURBS network." If i just "Create Surface from Curves," The result is a disappeared shape.

Please help. I have several curves from another project that i'm trying to fill. This should be easy, right? What am I missing?

thanks

Curve example:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5K6aplZg6Q6NkVkTmpicFA1UWc/edit?usp=sharing

Couple ways:

1. Use the Split tool in Point mode to separate the end line. Delete it. Then compose the two curves of the outer curl. Use the Split tool in Line Mode to divide the curves into several sections, then loft the pairs. You may have to reverse the direction of one or more of each pair. This yields several groups of surfaces, but they conform to the outline of the source curves.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8845&filename=LoftSegments.png

2. The source curves have several corner NURBS vertices. Zoom in to see them. And the segments are not logically arranged. The 2 curls should run continuously from the center point to the end. This is messing with the surface creations. Start with new curves:

Create 3 continuous NURBS curves, an inner curl, an outer curl and the end line. Trace the source curves with the NURBS curve tool (or the 2d poly tool in Spline or Bez mode and convert to NURBS). Use only about 16 vertices in each curl. I traced the inner one, duplicated the trace and moved the points to the outer curl. Select the 3 new curves, Modify>Convert>Compose (Yields a single NURBS curve), Model>3d Power Pack>Create Surface from Curves. This yields a single, continuous surface.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8846&filename=New%20Curves%20&%20Surface.png

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • 1 month later...

I don't think you or Vectorworks did anything wrong. The way other drafters work and the software used will determine success of translation to your software. I don't think there is a universal "cure" for porting from one to another.

But if you work often with a particular firm or drafter, meet to show them in real time on your screen how their drawing translates into Vectorworks and what you do to fix. Also examine their object on their screen in their software - vertex by vertex- so you both know where and how problems arise. Then have them try some mods to their process for better outcome in your software. If you both know what works, the process will be more efficient and less confusing.

-B