Can someone tell me what Level Types do?

I'm looking at the possibility of using "Stories" in VW 2012 & 2013. I think that I have a general handle on it but can't figure out what "Level Types" do. I see that there are default level types for slabs, floors, ceilings, etc. but I can also add my own or use "None." I need to create some additional layers (for MEP, RCP, etc.) Should I create new "Level Types" for those things? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks.

Levels connected to Stories move accordingly when you edit Story settings. e.g. change the height of Story 2 at a later stage and all the above(or below) Stories (and the levels connected to them) will be adjusted automatically including all objects that are bound to them ie. Stairs/Walls will adjust to the new Story height(s).

Stand alone levels need to be edited manually and individually.

Edited by Vincent C
Levels connected to Stories move accordingly when you edit Story settings. e.g. change the height of Story 2 at a later stage and all the above(or below) Stories (and the levels connected to them) will be adjusted automatically including all objects that are bound to them ie. Stairs/Walls will adjust to the new Story height(s).

true, but you forget that design layers bound to a story, but not bound to a level type also moves accordingly, so you can define stories and design layers and no level types if you don't use them. (I personally recommend using them though.)

What do you mean by stand alone levels? You can't have a level without a design layer. It's the design layer that can act as a level type. If you mean a design layer that is not bound to a story, then it's not a level, it's just a design layer which has a z-height.

What do you mean by stand alone levels? You can't have a level without a design layer. It's the design layer that can act as a level type. If you mean a design layer that is not bound to a story, then it's not a level, it's just a design layer which has a z-height.

I meant Layers......, Bill was asking if he should create additional layers (for MEP, RCP, etc.), and if these should be levels or not....I was just pointing out the differences.....not telling him what to choose :)

Edited by Vincent C
Guest Wes Gardner

To me, Level Types more clearly define the use of the Story Layer. So you could have a Story Layer called Slab Top with a Level Type called Top of Slab, you would then bind your wall or any other "story aware" object to "Top of Slab". Taking this further, you could then also have a Story Layer called Slab Bott and a Level Type called Bott of Slab where you could bind your story aware object to "Bott of Slab". You could also use names like Top of Steel to further delineate the use for that Story Layer.

To me, Level Types more clearly define the use of the Story Layer. So you could have a Story Layer called Slab Top with a Level Type called Top of Slab, you would then bind your wall or any other "story aware" object to "Top of Slab". Taking this further, you could then also have a Story Layer called Slab Bott and a Level Type called Bott of Slab where you could bind your story aware object to "Bott of Slab". You could also use names like Top of Steel to further delineate the use for that Story Layer.

Why not one story for the slab and have both top of slab and bottom of slab levels in that?

Objects can bound to these level types of their own story and the stories above and below, so make then only when you want to use them for this.

When you don't have Layers which are Level Types the heights of Walls (top bounding) can only be defined by either their Layer's defined Layer Wall Height or by offsets from the Layer Elevation.

Level Types are used by objects which can automatically adjust their height (Walls, Window Walls, Columns, Stairs, Escalator) to change their height when you make changes to a Layer's Elevation. That can be done by changing the Elevation of a particular Storey or by changing the relative Elevation of Layers associated with that Storey. Storeys are linked so the whole building model will automatically adjust when elevation changes are made to a specific Storey or parts of that Storey.

So if you want your building model to automatically adjust to Elevation changes made to Storeys or to the Layers within a Storey then you need to use Level Types.

If you don't use them then you will have to manually adjust the heights of Walls, Window Walls, Columns, Stairs and Escalators whenever you make Elevation changes to Storeys or to the Layers within Storeys.

I need to create some additional layers (for MEP, RCP, etc.) Should I create new "Level Types" for those things? If so, why? If not, why not?

Bill, if you are modeling/drafting a building my suggestion is use Stories and 'Story Layers' as they are called I believe Level Type is more to help the user see what the Story Layer encompasses.

The way in which you use Story Layers (Design Layers connected to specific Stories) is more personal. The main functions of these are:

1: To create defined reference elevations that can be used to bound a range of different objects to through their own settings so that they automatically end up at the correct height in the project, I believe there are quite a few users (incl. myself) that have Story Layers that don't have anything placed on them but simply exist for bounding purposes.

2a: To have more control over how and what you want to present in Top/Plan view (however this can also be achieved to a degree with Classes). E.g. generally I don't need Slabs in plan view however they are needed in Sections, thus I have a separate Slabs Story Layer.

b: It also helps when drafting to have several different Story Layers that have specific objects on them because it saves you showing and hiding classes in an otherwise very cluttered drawing area, simply switch to the Layer with the objects you are working on e.g. MEP, RCP and hide/grey the other layers.

3: To have more control over your 3D model see 2b: (basically the same as it was before Stories were introduced however now more clearly linked to a certain Story). e.g. I often have a Story Layer called 3D Only in which I place all 3D objects needed for Objects that are not needed in plan view however necessary for Sections/Elevations/Visualizations

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8847&filename=Sk%E4rmavbild%202013-03-23%20kl.%2009.52.52.png

Edited by Vincent C