a reshape tool that really reshapes

grant_PD

Question

16 answers to this question

Yes it seems so (but probably not what you want) by entering the extrude and editing the original face and then with the rectangle selected and the reshape tool activated and in the "Change Vertex" mode, marquee the corner you want to pull and have at. So actually you are editing two vertices once you return to the extrude.

Others may offer up better solutions.

Edited by bc

grant, I'm not sure I understand your question. In VW's a rectangle is by definition always a rectangle. Pulling at a corner or side will change its dimension, but not change the 90? angles. If, however, you Modify>Convert to Polygon, then pulling at a corner will actually change that one vertex and the lines (sides) which intersect at that point... You will end up with a rhombus (or some other quadrilateral).

No. You currently can't edit solids in that way. Nor is there anything you can convert it to that acts they way you want.

If Convert to 3D polygons worked the way it should it would create a polygon mesh where the edges and points were joined (like in Cinema 4D). Instead it creates 6 individual polygons, so when you pull on a corner, you only deform one polygon.

Ironically I can take an object into Cinema 4D, deform it, export it and bring it back and make it a solid in VW.....

Kevin

Right, but where can I convert that extruded rectangle into something where I can grab a corner and pull it up and out, into a free form shape?

You can convert it to a mesh and edit each vertex coordinate in the OIP. This feature has always been available for a mesh and this is what makes it different from a collection of 3D polygons.

Grant i had relegated my 3D Reshape tool to the "Retired Archy" palette where all the things that can't be used for what you'd expect them to do go.

For fine adjustment, i edit with the 2D Reshape tool. It gets the desired results but on one plane at a time . . . .

:)

A lot of To and Froing.

Miguel,

I discovered something quite interesting in my experiment where I converted my simple extruded rectangle into a mesh. When you double click to edit the mesh it actually edits like a group containing 6 3D polygons. So ultimately you can't pull a corner like you would a regular mesh. Unexpected.

AndiACD,

There is only one reshape tool in newer version, the 2D and 3D tools were combined (in VW2012 I believe).

Kevin

The Reshape Tool does not work on meshes. To edit a mesh you need to use the Selection Tool (without entering the 'group'.

The Method is as follows:

- Leave the object unselected.

- Run a selection marquee around the vertices you want to move to select them.

- For precise moves tab into the Floating Data Bar and enter the required X, Y and Z values. You can also snap to other 3D geometry and 3D loci.

Note: When you have a mesh object selected you have all vertices selected so of course the whole object will move. If you only want to move parts of it deselect those vertices you don't want to move by running a selection marquee around them. i.e. use a similar process to how you exclude objects from a 'selection set'.

Mike,

That's really interesting. I didn't know that. It means Grant can sort of do what he was asking for if he converts his solid to a mesh.

I must admit the approach is a little obscure and half implemented. Why wouldn't it be done with the reshape tool? And why doesn't the cursor change to the standard move point shape. Its almost like an afterthought.

But cool none the less.

Kevin

I cannot reshape the object via the mouse, as the icon of the tool implies.

I did not say you can do it with the mouse but that the same effect can be done by changing the x,y,z of each vertex in the Object Info (OIP). Besides selecting a group of vertices to edit you can also select the mesh, choose "vertex only", and cycle through each vertex to edit its x,y,z coordinate. And actually, I like this method better than using the mouse because it is more accurate.

BTW, I discovered the features of the mesh when I was choosing a solid object that could be edited programmaticaly to an irregular shape or cut offs for framing members while doing the wallframer pio.

Kevin, that is the way mesh editing has been from the very early days. When you don't edit meshes very often it is very easy to forget that is how you have to do it.

I totally concur that meshes should be edited with the Reshape tool. That is the tool that users instinctively go for and NV should recognise that and make the change.

While they are at it the Reshape tool should also work on all 2D objects and not just some of them.