VW2013 Render Stops during "Loading" status

ghunter64

Hi

I'm producing some good renders in VW2013 but I've got a problem. I've created a viewport with a camera and selected Fast Renderworks with indirect lighting 1 bounce.

The usual process as indicated by the status bar is as follows:

Geometry

Textures

Load

Pre-Render

Indirect Lighting

Render

Once it gets past the "Load" phase cinerender kicks in and completes the last 3 stages in the background (spinning teapot).

However, if I try to re-render the viewport, it get's stuck on the "Load" stage and the teapot stops spinning. It's still possible to work in the design layers, etc but it's almost as if the "Load" status is being displayed but it never actually loads.

The only way I've found to get around it is to quit VW and restart. Sometimes I have to reboot before it will let me re-render the model.

Has anyone had similar issues and have a solution?

Thanks

I have had some similar type issues, after repeated renders, i have had advice to watch the amount of memory VW is using. I have found that if I restart VW when it gets to about 1.5gb of usage things are much better.

You can watch the memory usage in the Activity monitor. This has been true for me even though there is plenty of free ram available.

Tech support told me:

"I would recommend watching Vectorworks until it gets to about 1.5GB of memory being used. Once it gets this high, I would recommend saving the file and restarting Vectorworks. This should keep the memory usage down so you don?t run into these error messages or lose any work. This issue has been submitted to our engineers so they can determine exactly why this is happening."

I agree with Steve. I have had some similar problems rendering and some of my challenges were due to the amount of ram available. The activity monitor is an excellent tool and helps you keep a handle on the available resources.

We upgraded our imac to a macpro and have seen a huge leap in computer performance.