Fix Editing in Extrudes

Kevin McAllister

Question

Ugh. The Layer Plane / Screen Plane mess. Please fix the mode for editing in extrudes. By definition, there is only one plane when editing in an extrude, even if you are viewing the extruded shape in a 3D view. All traditional tools and snaps should work as expected. Its so frustrating not to be able to draw a couple of guide shapes and use the paint bucket mode of the polygon tool to create a shape.

Frankly, everything that works on the screen plane (tools and snaps) should work EXACTLY the same on any other plane.... regardless of whether you are looking at the plane straight on or in perspective. Why is this so hard?

Kevin

9 answers to this question

Hi Kevin, I totally agree and have filed some bugs. The current behavior is sometimes so random, with angles that I know are 180? showing as something other, etc. etc. Ever since the introduction of the Planes it has gotten messy. I find that most times, if I'm careful and diligent, I can work in the way I want by switching to Screen Plane to create extrudes, then to edit the extrudes, making sure I choose "Extrude 1 (e.g.)" as the working plane.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I have filed some bugs myself but sometimes its really hard to understand whether its "working as intended", a "work in progress"" or if its a bug. "Working as intended" has become hard to discern and often not that logical in the last few versions.

I know that I've literally made and edited thousands of extrudes so it can be time consuming when things don't behave as hoped for.

Kevin

I agree. Try editing an extrude in a hybrid object and you'll run through a maze of workarounds as things disappear, realign to...something else, not snap to anything....it's insane.

I feel like a lot of VW's strength as a hybrid working environment is being crippled by 2d.