GRAY/BLACK IMPORTED IMAGES

I am trying to build a new title block, and I am unable to view newly imported images or images in older files. JPEGs are gray, and PNGs are black. None of the layer options or fill attributes seems to result in viewing a jpeg or png. When I print, the images are black/gray rectanges.

The images are grayed out in the resource browser as well.

This used to just work. I'm sure i'm missing something obvious, but i can't find it.

VWX 2012 sp 4

windows 7

Edited by bicameral2

Thank you for the reply. that wasn't the problem...only because i've had that issue before, and it's well discussed in this forum.

the title block images i was bringing in were PNGs and JPEGs produced by Illustrator. through some frustrated messing around, I was trying some different things, and long story short I realized PS .pngs were working fine. opened and resaved illustrator images in photoshop, and boom...fixed. also tested gimp files and MS office picture manager, and they worked.

so, it's something to do with VWX2012, Illustrator CS 5.5 image file formats (specifically PNG and JPEG), and my computer.

at least this thread might lead someone else to a reason.