Materials takeoffs and schedules for home design

Has anyone found a way to accurately do exterior materials take offs like brick, stucco, siding, stone? I've been using VW for a long time and use the different wall styles and classes to get pretty far for wall area....displaying the results on a worksheet.

Where it breaks down:

example: a second floor exterior wall is in the "wall-stucco" class, but only part of the wall is actually exposed (stucco) while the other part of the wall continues down below the surface of the roof. The worksheet would have calculated the entire wall.

I used to use space objects on the elevation...cutting around windows and doors. The worksheet would total up all the space objects in the (stucco class) and display the resulting area (sq.ft.). Seems like there should be a way to capture that information while I'm drawing the wall anyway, instead of doing this extra (space object) step (!). I suppose in those instances, I could draw two walls stacked: one wall for below the roof surface and the other for above the roof surface.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mark

Guest Wes Gardner

Individual components of the wall can be displayed in a worksheet. IF the Wall is modeled with offsets for the individual components, then that's the data you'll get. The number of bricks, sticks, whatever will be derived from square footage.

• 9 months later...