internal error - general failure encountered during disk I/O operation. (Fa

Funny thing happen to me today, this error message appeared for the first time since I've been using VW (8 years).

"internal error - general failure encountered during disk I/O operation. (Failure on attempt to open file)"

Here is what happened...

My original computer that the files were created from is in the shop getting fixed, but our files are housed on a server. I'm currently working at another station, which that error message is appearing on. I have re-installed VW 2011(SP5) and the issue still occurs. I have viewed some of the other postings and am confused with what I'm suppose to do?? If anyone can clarify why this happens and what it means that would be great.

Thanks,

Trang

I have seen this before, but I do not have files on a server, so I am not sure if this will be applicable to your exact situation. When I have seen this, it is because I have moved the file location, changed the file's name, or in some way changed the path to the file while the file is open in vectorworks.

Hi Ray,

If the file permission is the problem I won't be able to do anything until my computer gets back from the shop. The only thing that I question is the fact that this error message doesn't occur with any of the other computers in my office. The other thing is that when I log into the sever, my account has been set with the correct permissions. If I understand correctly, it shouldn't matter which computer I'm using when I open the file as long as I'm accessing the server with my login.

Trang

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I am getting this error too:

A colleague of mine is working on Mac VW2012 in another department. Normally he would save his files to the company server and I would copy them from there to my computer to open them on my Win VW2016 - normally without any problems.

But since yesterday I've been getting this error and can not open any file or copy he saves of this drawing. BUT he can still open his files and and work on them perfectly fine.

:'(

UPDATE:

It might be that something goes wrong when my colleague saves a file directly to the server instead of copy pasting it there - As copy pasting it to the server still works, or saving the file to a USB flash.

Edited by CarlJdP
  • 3 months later...

Someone in my office is getting the same pop-up error. We have multiple people on the same computer and Vectorworks edition and he is the only one getting the error.

We are using the new project and user file workflow. We do save all our files to the server.

Does anyone know why we are getting the error or how to stop it?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This usually happens either when the server is no longer available, or if multiple users are all logging into the server and being seen by the server as the same user (if everyone has the same login for the server, this is common)

Is this a proper server, or just a NAS/network access of another machine? Do all users have different logins for the network location? What operating system are the clients and server using?

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

One of my colleagues had the same problem. We have Vectorworks 2017 runs on El Capitan, and use a QNAP NAS as our server. Everyone has different login credentials. He has the vw backup folder intact.  It doesn't happen with other programs. 

Thanks for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a customer who has just installed a QNAP NAS and he is having problems opening VWX files. Apparently, errors occur when opening files stored on the NAS through VWX but also after files get copied back to the local drive. Recently, one file has appeared with the suffix "(encode conflict)" on the local machine. I wonder if this suffix was added by VWX or by the NAS' OS or by Windows?

59a7ce1b836ea_Encodeconflict.png.de2d89b6161b7be3b2c58544e72c6df1.png

Edited by Stephan Moenninghoff

That's likely something built into the OS that the NAS is using, never seen Windows do that. A lot of the cheaper NAS solutions (and honestly, some of the expensive ones too) have really lame versions of Linux running underneath that cause compatibility problems.

On 31.8.2017 at 3:09 PM, JimW said:

That's likely something built into the OS that the NAS is using, never seen Windows do that. A lot of the cheaper NAS solutions (and honestly, some of the expensive ones too) have really lame versions of Linux running underneath that cause compatibility problems.

Ok the problem was some Umlauts (ä,ü,ö). According to the customer, some wrong fonts were set on the NAS (whatever that means). Using file names without Umlauts works around the problem.

That is a UTF support thing.

The problem is that you don't know where special characters in VW will work and where the fail.

For example the german VW resources are full of umlauts, so these should work.

I never use umlauts on a computer.

But am always afraid if clients send IFC/DWG/Symbols/Classes full of umlauts where you

have no chance to replace them.

Edited by zoomer