More floor plan questions.....

HDU show multiple differing views of the same drawing with varying layers AND classes on the same sheet*; e.g., floor plan, RCP on (1) 24x36 page specifically in regard to a door (or another symbol) in a wall and turn off the door in the RCP but still show a header so the wall is continuous?

I've tried making (1) symbol with different layers, no luck. Ideally, the door symbol would have separate layers for referencing or linking as the plan requires.

By structuring the WGR properly, the target file is easy enough to set up, but it can't be fine tuned.

*This question works for different sheets, but (1) sheet should add an additional level of layer management to the issue.

Thanks.

Bruce, I'm not sure but it sounds like you should be looking to classes, in addition to layers, to create the custom visibility you want. If you have a class called doors (which you do already) and class called headers, then you can show one or the other or both on any given sheet or within any given layer by turning on or off each layer/class and then saving as a sheet. PLC

Ok, but say you want a Floor Plan and RCP on the same drawing. Draw a base plan which contains the elements that are common to both plans - walls. Insert a door. Now, using WGR & links, set up the drawing to show the door only on the Floor Plan, and the door header only on the RCP.

Classes don't seem to have the necessary level of management tools to separate items per view/sheet/link/whatever.

Or, even if the Floor Plan & RCP are not on the same drawing (which would allow classes to be turned off in the Floor Plan w/o affecting the RCP), HDU draw a door one time, with all the necessary parts (t-hold, door, jamb, swing, header) and control those items separately?

This discussion suggests:

Now, class visibility settings apply to all layers. One answer to this problem would be to have class settings possible for each layer (this MUST be an old topic!). Sounds complicated to me, but it certainly would accomplish the task.

A quirkier option would be to have the facility to put an "envelope" (a group or symbol) around objects so they would display differently, in accord with the envelope. I don't think we can do this now.

- Carl

We get around this problem by using layer links, and individual layers for each type of class conflicting items. For example, Items on the ceiling would go on the ceiling layer, or furniture layer, of electrical layer. Then for each view, we simply create a layer link and move it to the correct corresponding location on the sheet setup. It is awkward, and cumberson, but it does work, and it does ave alot of sheet printings. Hope this helps...

Carl - you would think this is an old topic, but I haven't found it on the Tech Board, and I've asked NNA (in person and with a letter) the same question with no response. AC solves this with layer management tools, and VW has no equivalent for class management (with VW classes supposedly equivalent to AC layers).

jf - We use layer links all the time effectively just as you describe. However, layer links do not solve the problem of inserting a symbol (like a door) and allowing control of that item across several layers. A symbol can not be broken into its component parts on multiple layers for the desired control. HDU draw a floor plan with a door, and remove the door & swing from the RCP and show a continuous header across the door opening? Using groups is not the answer because it requires aditional duplicitous work and wall customization at each opening, with the same additional work required upon the inevitable changes involved in any project.

The idea is to draw 1 thing 1 time and be able to manage that item in a variety of settings......as good as VW is, we need more 2D drafting capabilities. The last time we issues CDs with 3D modeling was......I forget.