9.5.2 crashes printing to DeskJet 1220

Any clues? VW 9.5.2 crashes when printing to my HP DeskJet 1220C. Printing to an HP 4V and to the HP 650 plotter causes no problem. Printing using VW 8.5.2 to the 1220C no problem.

This printer is networked using a JetDirect box. Just installed the latest driver for the 1220C printer, no help. All the appropriate printer selection and settings windows appear, but when the program starts to output a plot file, it crashes immediately. Disappears from the screen. Nothing but desktop.

WinXPP4 2.2G, 512 MB RAM

This is due to a driver incompatibility with windows 2000/XP and the 1220C.

On Windows XP you need to use the built in driver from MS, and on Windows 2000 you must use the version 1.2 driver from HP.

There are a number of applications having the same problem as VectorWorks with these drivers. Word and Adobe Illustrator also are affected by the same bug.

http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x86d199f08a51d61190040090279cd0 f9,00.html

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

• 2 weeks later...

I have not looked into the specifics of this problem but I have worked on similar problems and I can help you understand why 8.5.2 can print while 9 is crashing.

Between 8.5.2 and 9 we changed how we print certain objects. We made these changes to increase speed and make the code more maintainable. Any time you change how you print something there is a risk that a driver is going to have a problem with it. For example there are two ways to get a rectangle to print on Windows: FillRect(...) and Rectangle(...) these functions do the same thing in different ways. There are cases where one will crash Win98 while the other does not. Such a change would explain why 8.5.2 works but 9 crashes. This is a simple example. Often the problem is dependant on the sequence of function calls and the data passed to the functions. These are much more difficult to find.

HTH,