VW2013 Crashes iMac

I'm the wrong person to answer a question about log files! I called Apple when I was having problems and they talked me through it. My computer sent them the logs while I was on the phone and they found the problem right away.

It might be this one: Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info... > System Report > Software/Logs

There are also logs in ~Library/Logs/CrashReporter ... The name of this file has changed in recent versions. I don't have 10.8 yet, so I don't know for sure where it is.

VW tech support may be able to help. I think there are some known apps that conflict with VW.

Activity Monitor is a cool little application in the Application/Utilities folder that will monitor all your cpu processes (among many other things). You may see something sneaking up the list before a crash.

Edited by michaelk
  • 3 months later...

I continue to have crashes that bring down my whole system. And there is no particular sequence of events that leads to the crash, but it only happens when I'm using Vectorworks. I'll simply moving my cursor, and half way across the window, it will freeze. Other seemingly innocuous actions lead to freezes, too.

I've enquired about this on this forum and the other more official looking one, and haven't been able to find a solution.

To be fair, we have another computer with the exact same specs in the office that is not having this problem, so it's possible that it's just my particular installation, or perhaps the file that I'm working on. Both of the machines used Migration Assistant to transfer information from old to new computers. After talking with tech support, I promise to never to do that again.

It would be VERY cumbersome to recreate the file and probably easier to re-install vectorworks. Is there anything I need to be concerned about if I do this?

Hello, Yoginathaswami -

I've tried that each time I've had the problem. Perhaps it temporarily fixes the problem, but usually it crashes again within another week's time. The interesting thing is that I get the same permissions error every time. I don't recall exactly what it is, but it is something regarding Java and some some string of letters that should be another string of letters.

Do you think it might have something to do with Java?

Thanks,

Hi, Doug: I am not sure if it is Java. However, it seems something from iMac's system or could be some other application installed triggering it. Specially when you have the same permission getting corrupted repeatedly. Do you recall installing any application before having this crash issue? It is one possible way to isolate the problem--as it is only happening on this iMac.

Have tou tried booting the iMac on the "safe boot" mode and run the "fsck -fy" disk repair routine?

If that doesn't solve it, you might want to contact Apple regarding the repeatedly corrupt permissions.

Hi, Doug: I am not sure if it is Java. However, it seems something from iMac's system or could be some other application installed triggering it. Specially when you have the same permission getting corrupted repeatedly. Do you recall installing any application before having this crash issue? It is one possible way to isolate the problem--as it is only happening on this iMac.

Have tou tried booting the iMac on the "safe boot" mode and run the "fsck -fy" disk repair routine?

If that doesn't solve it, you might want to contact Apple regarding the repeatedly corrupt permissions.

Or perhaps try disabling Java (there is a system preference in which you can do that) for a couple of weeks to see if things improve.

V-G

Vector "doesn't works sometimes" Works 2013

Mac OS X 10.7.4

Coleco Vision Pong 1.0

Guest BillV

I also have been having issues with VW crashing on 10.8. This occurs always when I attempt to do a batch print pdf.

The crash occurs and VW does not generate a Crash Log.

I have done the repair permissions, removed my VW preferences, moved my user folder and created a new one, validated and deleted duplicate fonts. You name it I have tried it!

However, I finally created a new user account and ran VW under that account. The problem was solved.

Hi, Vijay: that is good way to isolate the crash. But Doug would have to live with many other apps that might not work properly during the test period. Isolating the issue as Ian points is better solution in the long run.

Bill: You solution to the crashing issue definitely points to corrupted user permission. I would try to run the "safe boot disk repair first" as it is much less time time compared to creating new user account and setting up everything again. (My two cents worth for Doug.)

Edited by Yoginathaswami
Guest BillV

I picked this up today which may be relevant

"In the July issue of Macworld, and on page 87 in the Bugs and Fixes column there is a piece on how Quick-Time components in various software could cause crashes of imaging software. Apparently there are Apple sandboxing restrictions on apps sold through the Apple App Store that could lead to these crashes with imaging software unaware of these restrictions. The remedy was to find the conflicts and delete or upgrade the software. To locate the conflicts it was suggested to download Sandbox Cleaner by boinx.com. It discovered a conflict with Flip4Mac Flip Player. Sand Box's scan suggested upgrading it which I did. Then tried the operations that crashed Vectorworks and everything is now stable."

This did not fix my problem but it did fix another I had encountered on OS 10.8.3 which was share screen on Skype which did not work until I installed new Flip Mac 4.

Ironically Skype support could not fix it but since they are owned by Microsoft that's hardly surprising!

I've had crashing with some files when clicking the layers button in the top toolbar. It's a 10.8 problem. Tech support said they could not reproduce the problem and ask me to do a WHOLE MESS of trouble shooting. I and to ask three times if they were testing using OSX 10.8. Once they actually did so, then they confirmed the crashing. So I guess this means that 10.8 could have other system related issues with VW.

Can you send the file to tech support and see if they can recreate the crashes? I know you said you would never do that again, and I understand your frustration since I've experienced the same many times, but if you hold your ground and make them do the work, things are better.

You should never forget we are all beta testers.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BillV

Update on crashing on Batch Print PDF. I videoed the crashes and sent the offending file to NNA. The technicians were unable to replicate this, however we persevered and found the bug, which they are able to fix!